Chapter 5

Chapter 5...
NO P.O.V...
"... Why did you leave? Like out of the blue you just vanished! So..." Astrid asked as they both sat down.
"Um..." Hiccup was hesitant in his answer. He wanted to tell the truth but he wanted to hold it back.
"Hiccup? Are you ok?"
"Yeah yeah, um... *sigh* the reason why I left was because... because..."
"Yeah?"
"*sigh* dad... fell really ill. He... caught some rare disease on his was back from a conference in Brazil..." Hiccups face fell into sadness as he spoke which Astrid clearly noticed. She moved closer towards Hiccup and put her hand on his shoulder.
Hiccup's father (Stoick) was the well known mayor of a region called Berk. He was hardly ever home as he flew around the world to conferences with connections to country's prime ministers and presidents. With a busy lifestyle, Hiccup rarely saw his father but treasured every moment he had with him. Hiccup had to stay with his uncle named Gobber who he was very close to, almost like a second father.
"What happened Hiccup?"
"We... we had to fly back to Berk to see him. That was the day I disappeared. When we got to the hospital, he was... completely pale, almost lifeless. The disease was spreading across his body but they said they had it under control. I stayed by his side through it all, helped him drink, eat, helped the nurses, cleaned him. I was there for him like he was always there for me..."
Hiccup want silent for a second before he took a breath and tears began to form.
"After about a week of looking after him in hospital, it all went down hill. One night... while I was... looking after him, he suddenly stopped breathing. The machine began to light up and make noises. I called for the nurses and they all ran to see him and I was told to leave the room and wait. I... I watched from the window. Everything... was in some motion to me. They were all running and began CPR on him. They kept trying to shock him but... nothing worked. They kept trying and trying but after 45 minutes..." Tears began to run down his face, unable to hold then back. "... they stopped. He was confirmed... confirmed... dead. The disease spread to his organs and his body shut down."
Astrid was shocked. Tears began to fall down her cheeks. She remembered Stoick from when she was little, her main memory was of him throwing Hiccup and herself into the air when then were playing a game. Sounds of laughter and screams echoed through her head as she came back to reality. She held onto Hiccup tighter as he continued.
"I just... broke down... my heart... broken. Although I didn't see him a lot, he was... always with me. I had lost my father... my best friend... my idol. I wanted to be the one to say goodbye properly. The nurses told me the news and said that I shouldmy go in but I refused. I wanted to go in and see him. I walked in, my heart sank seeing him lifeless on the bed. I... held his hand tight. It was... so... so cold, like... ice. I stared at him and... I completely lost it! I held onto his body and cried... I let all the pain flood out of me as I gave him one last hug, hoping to hear a heart beat but... nothing. My last memory... was... pulling the white sheet... over his head..." Hiccup broke down and him and Astrid hugged and held on to eachother. "I relive that memory every time I fall asleep, hoping to see him walk to me, open his arms and hug me... hearing his heart beating once more."
After a few minutes of silence, they pulled back and learnt against the tree, looking out upon the field.
"What... what happened after?"
"Well... I went home and packed my stuff up, knowing I had to move out for a while. The house was just as he left it, newspapers spread all over the table, a cold cup of coffee perched in the side, the fire burning low." He took a breath. "It turns out... my mother, after all this time... was... alive. She was contacted and I was told that I had to stay with her. She lived bit too far from here, so I moved a few years ago and began to attend here. I wanted my father's wishes of me to be successful and take over his place as mayor when I was older to come true."
Hiccup had finally finished his story. A cloud of sadness was formed over the pair but Astrid spoke up, allowing a ray of sunshine to pass through the cloud.
"Hiccup... I am so sorry for what happened. I was so angry but now... I shouldn't have been so stupid to judge. Look Hiccup, whatever happens in the future and now... I will stuck by you no matter what! I will support you through anything that hits you. Best friend forever?" Astrid held up her pinky for a promise.
"Forever!" Hiccup hooked his pinky with Astrids and moved forward to give her a strong and meaningful hug to say thank you.
Astrid smiled and returned the hug.
They were interrupted by a voice getting closer to them.
"HEY!!"