Chapter 71

Chapter 71...
Hiccup was being wheeled down the corridors of the hospital as he was trying to calm his excitement and nervousness of the journey. It didn't matter anymore to him about his condition... only hers.
Losing a leg was nothing compared to losing Astrid.
He took many breaths trying to calm his nerves and prepare himself. Valka was walking along side him looking worried and guilty remembering what happened with her one hand raised to her mouth gently biting her nails.
As he saw this, Hiccup gently took her hand in his squeezing it and reassured her it would be ok. He felt bad for what happened earlier but knew little steps would be needed to help bring slowly forget the pain. Valka looked at her son who gave her a calm smile with her hand in his. She looked at him... seeing how strong he was through everything in the past; the death of his father, dealing with personal problems, Leo, looking after Astrid through her miscarriage and other situations... and now losing his leg and the possibility of losing Astrid. He was so strong.
She took her hand away from her mouth and smiled back at him, looking in front to see them nearing a door to a secluded room.
The doctor pushing Hiccup in his wheelchair stopped just infront of the door. He walked put from behind Hiccup and knocked gently in the door where he owned it slightly nodding to a nurse inside.
Turning around with a smile, he looked at Hiccup and asked him the simple question.
"You ready?"
Hiccup took a breath and sighed with a small smile.
"I am..."
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
Valka walked behind the wheelchair and wheeled him forward as the doctor held the door open. The room was warm and content, it was all dark with small lights like fireflies around the ceiling and walls illuminating a little brightness. He could hear a machine beating at a consistent beat. He could see a silhouette of someone laying in the hospital bed, all covered up under the covers and resting on soft pillows.
Getting closer he could see the sight of beautiful his valkyrie. She was resting in the soft glow of the 'fireflies'. Rosy cheeks, rosy lips, small freckles, small strands of blonde hair covering her face and fallen onto the pillow. His beautiful girl.
Hiccup gently took his and leaned as far as he could, carefully taking moving the odd stands from off her face and letting his fingers trace over her smooth skin. He then carefully moved his hand down the covers to take her hand in his, just holding it... feeling the warmth of her skin against his.
As he held it, he watched the sight of her chest rising up and down slowly, hearing the soft breaths take in and out every few seconds.
She was alive.
"When will she wake up again?" Hiccup asked not taking his eyes away from Astrid.
"Soon hopefully, the nurse said she saw her fingers twitching and eyelids beginning to open a little before I came to voice you."
Hiccup nodded as he continued to watch his girlfriend breathing and laying peacefully.
He gently guided her hand that was still in his to his lips, gently kissing and whispering.
"Please wake up soon"
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
They had been there for over an hour now. Hiccup was still sat next to the hospital bed but his eyes began to feel heavy and grew tired. He would sometimes close his eyes for a few seconds before waking up again realising that a few seconds was actually minutes.
Hiccup's eyelids closed as his head rested on the bed, his hand still holding Astrid's. Darkness easily took over him.
As Valka looked up from her book in the corner of the room, she saw her son had fallen asleep. She smiled and stood up, placing her book down carefully on the chair she was sat in without making a noise. Grabbing the blanket that was placed in the table, she opened it up and placed it over Hiccup's shoulders, letting it fall over his body without waking him up. She kissed his head and stroked his hair as she left the dark room to make a few calls.
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
30 MINS LATER...
It was quiet the dark room, just the sound of the machines beeping and soft breathing could be heard. But not for much longer...
Hiccup was still sleeping until he began to feel movement and pressure slightly in his hand. His eyes slowly fluttered open as be woke up, he could feel more movement from his hand and the bed. Immediately he sat up and looked at Astrid face. It was completely still. But then he could feel moment in his hand again. He looked down to see her fingers moving slightly and pressing against his palm.
He immediately leant forward towards her face again in disbelief. He watched it for a few seconds to see if there was any movement. His eyes moved from her eyes to her nose to her lips and over and over again.
"Come on... come on Astrid... wake up..."
As he said that, he saw her eyes beginning to open a little. He smiled and breathed out with relief and happiness trying to contain himself.
"That's it... keep going..."
Finally... blue met green again.
The tears began to form in Hiccup's eyes... she was awake...
"MUM! SHE'S AWAKE!!!" He shouted as he heard his mum walk in in shock and called a doctor.
Valka went running over to the hospital bed to see for herself a pair of blue eyes open and paired with her son's green ones.
Hiccup laughed as he cried into her hand and kissed it many times, so relieved to see her alive and awake.
The doctor came rushing in and went to the bed, he patted Hiccup on the shoulder for comfort as he started to do checks.
Hiccup couldn't hold back the happiness. He didn't know what to do. He was sat crying and holding her hand, staring into her eyes.
She was ok...
The doctor turned the lights on a little brighter as he started the checks. Valka went over to her son as he cried against her.
"She's ok!" He kept saying as they both cried and cuddled.
"Astrid? Astrid can you hear me?"
The doctor asked as he was Astrid's eyes diverted from Hiccup's to his. He smiled whilst continuing to check.
"Ok can you speak to me Astrid?"
Silence.
"Astrid? Are you ok?"
Silence. Astrid was just staring back blankly. The doctor looked back to the nurse who entered the room with him with a concerned face. He then moved his eyes to Valka and Hiccup who was staring back at him.
"W-what's going on?" Hiccup questioned ad his smile turned to a face of panic and fear.
"She's having trouble communicating..."