Chapter 70

Chapter 70...
Hiccup was silent. His only reply was...
"...oh..."
The surgeon looked down on sadness and nodded. He shifted slightly on this chair.
"She was rushed into surgery to drain the blood from the brain and reduce the pressure being built. It took a while to do but... luckily we got it all out."
Hiccup sighed in relief. He smiled a little bit as he rubbed his hands down his face. She was ok-.
"But..."
"But what?" Valka asked. Wiping the tears from her face.
"She isn't out of the woods just yet. We've had to put her in an induced coma in order for her body to recovered and rest. Still we don't know whether her body will be able to function after or if she will ever wake up. I'm sorry."
The doctor stood up and rested his hand on Hiccup's shoulder.
"She's a tough girl, you just have to believe she can pull through."
Hiccup nodded as the doctor took his hand off his shoulder and began to walk out the door.
The room fell silence once he was gone. So quiet a pin could drop... only the sound of the machines could be heard.
He could lose her... lose her forever...
He couldn't lose her, he just couldn't!
Valka watched her son stare into space lost in thought and saw the pain in his eyes.
Making the decision, she left the room and walked down the corridors to get outside and take a breath of the cool morning air. The breeze hit the water marks of tears feeling the cold enter her pores and wake her tired eyes up. She sat on a bench as she watched the ambulances and cars pass by. She needed to refresh her mind and focus on Hiccup.
Meanwhile, Hiccup had buried himself under the hospital blanket as he cried, not holding anything back. He kept imagining the doctor coming in and giving him the bad news... being taken into her room... seeing her... eyes closed... skin as pale as snow...
His eyes fell tired and heavy as the tears were uncontrollable and eventually sleep took over him as he fell into a difficult slumber hurried from the outside world.
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
1 WEEK LATER...
Astrid was still unconscious in her coma. Since being put under after her emergency brain operation, there were many times when her body began to shut down and fail.
Hiccup had never felt so lonely without her. He prayed every day, begging for someone to listen and keep Astrid safe. All he wished for was for her to open her eyes and take a breath by herself again. To stare into her ocean blue eyes and see her pink lips curl into her cheeky smile she always had. He wanted to hold her close and tell her they were both safe.
Each passing day was torture... was it ever going to end? He would stare at the door most days expecting someone to walk in with good news... but nothing yet.
Hiccup was currently curled up on his side in bed with his phone held in his hands. The gallery was open and he was swiping slowly through the photos he had taken with Astrid. Her face was so precious to him, seeing it made his heart melt and gently form one on his face too.
There were many photos, many many photos. His favourite one taken was one of them cuddling on the beach during a sunset with Astrid kidding Hiccup's cheek. They were both so happy then.
Would life ever be the same like that again?
He gently stroked her face on the screen with his finger, gliding it down the screen wishing she could feel it.
Valka was asleep on the chair wrapped in her blanket. She had trouble sleeping ever since the incident and it took a while for her to rest as she was constantly worrying about her son and Astrid. She had bags under her eyes and her face was lacking the colour. The stress was killing her mentally.
Hiccup placed his phone down on the table next to him as he looked out the window of his room. Just watching. Waiting for time to pass... time to pass fast... so he could get out... so Astrid would wake up.
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
1 HOUR LATER...
Hiccup woke up to his shoulder being shaken slightly. Carefully opening one eye to see and adjust himself to the light of the room, he saw his mother looking down at her with a large smile and look of relief and joy within.
"Mum?... W-what's going on?"
Valka nodded her face and eyes in the opposite direction to the right. He sat up and stretched gently as he saw a doctor stood by the door with a wheelchair. Hiccup looked confused at the doctor. But the words the doctor said made his heart skip a beat.
"She's awake..."