Chapter LXXII - Bechloe: Perfect

Beca's POV

You're sitting on your fold-out bed when Chloe comes home from another date and by the look on her face, it was another failure. She unravels her scarf from around her neck, kicks her boots off, goes over to the kitchen, and makes herself a hot chocolate. Oh, no. The date must have been really bad. When dates don't go great, Chloe usually makes a tea but when they go really badly, she makes a hot chocolate with extra chocolate powder and marshmallows. You hate seeing Chloe upset. Chloe has the kindest heart you have ever come across and you just don't understand why people would reject her. If you could, you would date Chloe. You've had a crush on her for years but have only realised it a few months ago when you and Jesse broke up. Deep down you knew having a long-distance relationship wasn't going to work so you weren't surprised when Jesse decided to talk to you about it and you weren't very upset when things ended.

However, you're grateful that you ended things with Jesse because it never felt right being with him. Sure, he was a nice guy and you could rely on him for just about anything but something inside you felt off and you had no idea until you were finally free from him - you're in love with Chloe. The realisation was shocking but it made so much sense. Every time you saw her on the Barden campus you would get butterflies in your stomach, you laughed when she laughed, you relished in her touch when everyone else's repulsed you, you loved hearing her sing and giggle, you loved being around her more than anyone, you loved everything about her and you still do. To you, Chloe Beale is the most amazing person you have ever met and you want nothing more than to be with her romantically. Even though you live in a tiny studio apartment with Fat Amy and Chloe where you are constantly bumping shoulders with one another, at least you know you get to crawl into bed at the end of a long day with the beautiful redhead.

Speaking of which, Chloe finishes making her hot chocolate then grabs a packet of potato chips, sits at the small kitchen table, and eats them by the handful. She looks so upset and it breaks your heart.

"How'd it go?" You ask, already knowing the answer but you know Chloe is someone who likes to talk about things, especially things that are bothering her.

"I've had better dates..." She murmurs, not even looking at you and you know that's when the date went really bad.

"What happened?"

Chloe shakes her head.

"Chlo, come on..." You get up from your warm bed and sit next to the woman, gently placing your hand on top of hers. "Talk to me."

Chloe's eyes look at your hand for a few moments before she sighs.

"He said that I was boring and had nothing interesting to say. He said that I talked too much about my time at Barden as a Bella. I'm starting to wonder if that's what they all thought of me..."

You can see the hurt in Chloe's eyes and you just want to find the bastard who said that and make him apologise because nobody should ever be able to make Chloe feel this way.

"He obviously doesn't know what good conversation is then," you say.

"But he's right though. I DO talk about being a Bella all the time."

"So? Chloe, I know how much being a Bella meant to you. It was your world. You failed Russian literature three times so you could be a Bella. That was your life and you were good at it and if he finds that boring then the things he finds interesting must be borning as Hell."

"I don't know, Becs... maybe I'm just not cut out for the dating life. I live too much in the past. I wish I could be a Bella again but I know that will never happen because those days are over. Maybe these guys are telling me to move on and maybe I should. Maybe I should change..."