Chapter LXXXII - Bechloe: At First Sight

Idea by CBClay

Chloe's POV

You're positive that you love Tom. You've been with him for years and years. You're engaged. It has to be love. What else could it be? You wouldn't be with him if you weren't in love with him. You just wouldn't be. You're not like that. It wasn't love at first sight but you love Tom now. There's no doubt about it but perhaps there is. You mentally kick yourself when you think about the doubt because the doubt is in your mind whenever you think back to your Barden times and more specifically, your time with Beca. You'll never forget the day Beca called you into her room in the Bellas House and confessed her love for you.

You weren't expecting it since Beca was always reserved and cold but you knew Beca wasn't lying. The amount of vulnerability in her eyes was too great for Beca to be joking. You were shocked and flattered but you were with Tom and it hurt to turn her down but what really got you and still gets you when you think about it is the look on Beca's face. She looked so broken and you hated that you were the one to make her feel that way. That was five years ago now. You haven't heard from Beca since. None of the Bellas have heard from her either. It was as if she had fallen off the face of the earth.

In those five years, you've been busy with vet school and now it's your first year as an independent vet. You love your job since your passion is animals. You also have a passion for music but you knew you couldn't have been a Bella forever. What you wouldn't give to go back and live those days again. You catch up with some of the Bellas like Aubrey and Stacie and sometimes Fat Amy but it's hard since you're all scattered around the country so you were so happy when Aubrey organised a Bellas reunion. You and the Bellas haven't been together since the Worlds. It was only five years ago but to you, it feels like it was fifty.

You all meet up at the Brooklyn aquarium and you swear your heart could have burst when you saw everyone again. It was a magical moment and that's when something happened that you never thought would - Beca turned up. However, she didn't turn up alone. Beca turned up with her wife and child. Beca's wife is beautiful and her child is adorable. They all look so happy together and the Bellas are thrilled for her. It's as if Beca's absence in the past five years has been forgotten since her family explains why you haven't heard anything from her. You learn that Beca is a senior music producer at some big-shot music production company in Los Angeles. She lives in a big house with her wife and daughter.

And that brings you to now - sitting at the bar with a scotch in your hand as you watch Beca laugh with her daughter who plays with the motorised balloon shark that has been floating around this evening. It's good to see Beca happy. It really is. You're happy for her. You're sure of it. But something inside you, deep in your stomach, tells you otherwise. You don't want to listen to it but you do and you're not one-hundred percent happy for the brunette. You think back to all of those years ago when Beca confessed her love for you. Seeing Beca now makes the memory clear as day and you hate the fact that you turned her down. You watch Beca and her daughter and that's when it hits you - that could be your daughter.

The realisation hits you hard but it makes so much sense. You want a life with Beca. You've always wondered what it would be like to have a life with Beca - to have a child, a house, pets, and more. It's good to see that Beca is happy but you wish that you were the one to make her happy. You wish that was your daughter that Beca was playing with. You wish that you were wearing a big diamond ring that Beca put on your finger before she said 'I do'. You wish that you had a happy life with Beca. But it's too late now. Beca has a wife that she is currently holding an arm around and kissing her cheek. The sight makes you boil inside and that's when you snap out of it. You're with Tom. You love Tom. You're sure of it. It wasn't love at first sight but you still love him.