Chapter CXLIII - Bechloe: My Dying Wish

Idea by Djcali123

Beca hates fighting with Chloe. It's the absolute worst and what exacerbates it is that they are fighting more and more. Beca never thought she'd fight with Chloe this much. Chloe is the love of her life and they get on so well or, at least, they used to get on so well. They hardly ever fought back in college and even when they graduated and were struggling to get by, they still didn't fight that much. But now, things have changed. The married couple fight almost every day and it doesn't necessarily have to be about big things. Just the little things set them off like not taking out the trash or not doing the dishes. It's meager and immature but it's the way it is.

However, tonight is different. Tonight, Chloe has yelled at Beca to the point where she banishes Beca to sleep on the couch. Beca doesn't want to but she doesn't want to fight with Chloe anymore and she knows that Chloe needs space. Chloe hates kicking Beca out of their bed since Chloe has great difficulty sleeping alone but she's just too mad at Beca to sleep next to her. 

"Why can't she just tell me?" Chloe mutters to herself as she lies in bed, looking at the ceiling.

The more she thinks, the more her chest tightens. She doesn't want to think about it but the thought keeps playing around in her mind and it has been for months now. Chloe doesn't want to cry as she feels tears press against her eyes. She wants to stay strong but she can't hold it together anymore so she ends up turning into a babbling mess and she cries so hard no sound escapes. Her chest is tight, her throat is sore, and her eyes are clenched shut. Chloe feels as if she's hit rock bottom and even though she's a successful vet and Beca is a successful music producer, that doesn't compensate for their marriage, which Chloe believes is deteriorating right before her eyes and she has no idea how she can stop it.

Chloe cries for a good thirty minutes before she begins to settle. She is exhausted but she needs to talk. She can't keep it in anymore and she can't keep pretending that everything is fine. It's late but Chloe grabs her phone and calls her best friend who, right now, she envies because she knows she is wrapped up in her wife's loving embrace as they sleep comfortably in the same bed and Chloe wishes more than anything that she was in the same boat.

"Mm... Hello?" Aubrey's voice is weary and Chloe feels guilty for waking her.

"Hey, Bree," she sniffs.

"Chloe? It's midnight. What's going on? Are you okay?"

Chloe shakes her head, tears about to spill over at any second. "No..." She sniffs again.

"What's wrong?" Aubrey's tone is now laced with concern.

"It's Beca..."

"What about Beca?"

"We... we had another fight... it was a big one... I... I think she's having an affair."

The pain Chloe receives from saying the words aloud is like a knife to her heart but she needs to say it.

"Oh, Chloe... I'm so sorry but... are you sure?"

"What other reason is there, Bree? Beca has been so distant towards me. She won't talk to me. She won't do things with me. I hardly see her. I hardly spend time with her when I do. She doesn't hug or kiss me anymore. I can't even remember the last time we had sex. She's changed, Bree, and I have no idea what to do. I keep asking her what's wrong but she doesn't tell me - she just deflects and it hurts so much..." Chloe breaks down again and Aubrey wishes she could pull the woman through the phone and hold her.

"I'm sorry, Chlo... I... I never thought Beca would do that... She loved you so much... She looked after you so well..."

"What have I done, Bree? What have I done to make her cheat on me?"