Chapter LXXVIII - Bechloe: Pavlov(a)

Idea by musician1995

"In 1897, Ivan Pavlov developed a theory of classical conditioning by which a conditioned stimulus is paired with an unconditioned stimulus. Pavlov tested his theory with dogs and soon discovered that they began to salivate whenever they heard a bell because that meant they received food. The conditioned stimulus is a neutral stimulus where the unconditioned stimulus is not, such as the food having a certain taste. Furthermore, the unconditioned response was a reflex so for the dog's case, salivation. Pavlov used a bell to test his theory. He rang the bell to get the dog's attention and when the dog came, it got a piece of meat. Pavlov did this over and over again where the dog soon learned that every time it heard the bell, it would get food. Pavlov found that learning best occurred when the interval between the bell, the conditioned stimulus, and the food, the unconditioned stimulus, was short."

Chloe was fascinated by what the psychology professor was teaching the class. Chloe wasn't so sure about taking a psychology course but she was amazed by how interesting it was. It was only an introductory class but it was enough to reel Chloe in. She constantly took notes, asked questions, and discussed with her fellow classmates. In Chloe's opinion, psychology was the most enjoyable class she ever took, apart from music that is.

"So, the question is, if this works so well with animals can it apply to humans?" The professor continued. "The answer to that is, yes. In the 1920s, John Watson and Rosalie Rayner conducted the 'Little Albert Experiment' where they planned to condition a phobia in a child. Watson drew upon Pavlov's method and applied it to Albert. Albert was presented with multiple stimuli, one of them being a white lab rat. Every time Albert touched the rat, Watson and Rayner made a loud noise behind Albert, causing the child to cry. After repeating the noise with the rat, Albert became very distressed whenever the rat was presented to him. When the white rat was presented to Albert, he cried and crawled away in fear before the loud noise was enforced. So, Watson and Rayner's experiment was successful. Of course, the experiment wouldn't be able to be conducted today due to ethical issues but it was a very important experiment in the history of psychology that is still used today when we study classical conditioning in human beings... Yes, Miss Beale?"

The professor asked when Chloe raised her hand.

"Would you be able to apply a positive response in humans? So, instead of conditioning a fear in people, would you be able to condition a positive response like the dogs in Pavlov's theory?"

"Good question, Miss Beale. You can but it's important to remember that children are easily influenced between the ages of zero to five so it's easier to do it with them. Beyond that point, it can get a bit more difficult to create a positive or negative response in people."

"What about adults?"

"Again, it can be difficult. It all depends on the level of intensity and the time frame in which it happens. For example, if you look at soldiers who came back from World War One and Two, the majority of them were diagnosed with Shell Shock, which is now called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A lot of veterans become fearful when they hear a loud noise or something that sounds similar to gunshots or bombs going off or are in a situation, which provokes emotions they experienced in war times."

"So it is possible?"

"Of course. Humans are very complex creatures and as psychologists, we delve into why we are so complex. We ask questions, we experiment, and we theorise so we can try to better understand why are we the way that we are and most importantly, to try and provide a better future. I honestly believe that psychology is underrated when it comes to health and wellbeing and providing a better future for generations to come. Thankfully, psychology is growing and we are learning so much - it's incredible."