Chapter CXX - Staubrey: Candygirl (Part 2)

"Are you okay?" Stacie fretted, examining Aubrey carefully.

"Yes, what the Hell is going on?"

"How long have they been here?"

"I don't know. I went out to get my mail and they were there. What's going on?"

"Did you say anything?"

"No. Stacie, what is going on? Why are all of those people out there taking pictures of me and asking about you?" Aubrey nearly shouted at the brunette.

Stacie sighed, raking a hand through her hair. "I wasn't entirely truthful with you last night."

"What do you mean?"

"Aubrey... I'm not exactly a businesswoman as I portrayed myself to be."

"Just get to the point, Stacie!"

"I'm an actress."

"What?"

"I'm an actress. I'm a big Hollywood star. I do movies, TV shows, commercials, modeling - everything. I'm a big hit around here and there's not much I can do without the world knowing about it."

Aubrey stared at the brunette who was anxiously waiting for the blonde's response.

"W... Wh... Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was going to tell you. I was going to tell you last night actually but I couldn't."

"Why not?"

"Because... I didn't want to ruin the night."

"Why would it?"

"Because I wanted to feel normal and I didn't want to scare you. I was so surprised that you didn't recognise me the other night at the diner."

"I never really watch movies or TV. I thought you looked familiar but I had no idea that you were a star."

"I am. You're the first person I've come across in L.A who doesn't know who I am and it was... amazing. I felt so calm with you and I felt like a regular human being. I didn't feel like some star - I felt normal with you. We talked like normal people and acted like normal people. We got to know each other like normal people. For the first time in YEARS, I felt at ease and happy. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you the truth and I knew I was going to have to eventually but not like this. I'm sorry that those assholes showed up at your doorstep like that. They had no right to do that."

"Yeah... It was a bit of a shock."

"I'm so sorry, Bree. I feel like an asshole."

"So... is that what your life is like? All that?"

"Yeah," she nodded gloomily.

"Oh... I didn't realise it was so... full on."

"It is, especially if you're someone like me."

"Or someone with you..."

"Are you scared?"

"I... I don't know..." Aubrey looked at her hands and played with her fingers. "I've always wanted to be a singer but... after seeing that... I'm not so sure anymore."

Stacie felt her heart sink because she was a strong believer in people following their dreams but also, she was scared that Aubrey didn't want to see her anymore.

"I... I hope this doesn't change you wanting to be with me..." Stacie said nervously.

"I... I don't know, Stacie. I... I'll have to think about it."

"Think about it?"

"Yes."

"W, why?"

"Because, Stacie, this is big. I don't know if I'm ready for all of this attention."