Chapter CLXII - Bechloe: How Little We Know

Idea by yellowbagpackgirl

Chloe Beale sits in her office with her head in her hands. There's no way she wants to do this. She can't. But she has to. She's simply the best neurosurgeon there is. If it were anyone else, Chloe would do it but because it's her old best friend whom of which she had a crush on for the entire time they were in college together, the redhead can't find it in herself to do it. Being in unrequited love was the worst but Chloe accepted it and moved on the best she could. Every now and then she would think about the alt-girl known as Beca Mitchell but Chloe can't live in the past and she sure can't operate on the woman either.

During one of her tours as a famous music producer, Beca finished a concert then hit her head when she tripped over some cords, aggravating a tumor that now needs to be removed immediately. Beca was rushed in several hours ago and everyone is prepping for the surgery, all except for Chloe.

"Chloe, come on, it's time to get ready," Aubrey walks into Chloe's office.

"I don't think I can, Bree..." Chloe shakes her head. "You know what happens when I perform surgery. I can't do that to Beca."

"It's either that or she dies, Chloe. You don't have time to sit here and ponder. You need to make your decision now. I don't want to push you but time is ticking."

Chloe looks at her best friend and nods. She's right. She doesn't have the time to just sit and think. Beca's life is in Chloe's hands and if that means she's going to probe into her memories, then she is. There's nothing she can do about it.

"Okay. Let's do it."

Changing into her scrubs, Chloe walks into surgery and sees her old friend and old crush lying on the operating table completely unconscious thanks to the anesthetic. Chloe checks that her team is ready before she proceeds with the surgery. Once everyone is accounted for, Chloe begins. Shaving the side of Beca's head, Chloe performs a craniotomy, making sure to steady her hands whilst using the perforator and craniotome. The assistant ever so gently pulls back the skull flap allowing the redhead to cut into the dura and gain access to Beca's brain.

Chloe spots the tumor and curses it. That little bastard could be the death of Beca Mitchell but not on Chloe's watch. Chloe gets handed her tools and begins removing the tumor but as soon as she touches Beca's brain, the brunette's memories flash through Chloe's. Everything down to Beca's childhood, her schooling years, and her college years and that's what gets Chloe.

A scene of Beca stealing glances at the redhead, smiling at her when she isn't looking, laughing with her along with feelings of kindness, fondness, and love, sweep through Chloe to the point where the air is knocked out of her lungs. Chloe has to take a moment to get a hold of herself. The memories but more so, feelings, are overwhelming but Chloe has to fight through them to remove the horrid tumor violating Beca's brain.

"Doctor Beale, are you all right?" Her assistant checks.

Chloe looks up at the younger woman, her eyes scanning her carefully.

"Yes, I'm fine. It's been two and a half hours and the tumor is removed so let's close everything up."

The redhead beings the lengthy process of sewing the dura and realigning the skull flap to the skull and drilling metal plates to hold them together. The procedure ends another hour later and Chloe is exhausted. So many thought and feelings and so little time to process them all.

"Chloe?" Aubrey knocks ont the redhead's door. "Are you okay?"

"She liked me, Bree," she utters. "She liked me... I spent all of those years wondering, wishing, hoping... waiting..."

"Chlo, you weren't to know." Aubrey sits at the woman's desk. "Beca had every opportunity to tell you how she felt but she didn't and you're not to blame for that."

Chloe sits in a pensive silence. Aubrey is right but that doesn't make things any easier. Chloe saw everything, felt everything, experienced everything... It's as if Chloe has lived the life of Beca Mitchell and it hurts in so many ways. So much love Chloe has for Beca and vice versa but yet, nothing was done about it and there is nothing more that Chloe hates than wasted time.

"Don't ponder too much about it, Chlo," Aubrey breaks the silence. "You need to find a way forward now."

"What even is forward, Bree? How can I possibly go forward after that? I spent so long trying to forget, trying to dismiss my own feelings for her and now, I know everything she thought and felt about me and so help me God, if that's not love then I don't know what is."

"What are you going to do about it then?"

"I don't know."

"Okay, let me rephrase that: what do you WANT to do?"

Chloe doesn't miss a beat in her response."I want Beca. I still want her."

Aubrey sits back in the chair comfortably and nods. "Go and get her then."

With that, Chloe obliges and when Beca awakes, Chloe is there by her side. The brunette is tired and exhausted. She looks up at Chloe weary-eyed and smiles.

"Chloe..." Beca reaches out and takes the woman's hand. "You saved me... I dreamt of you."

"I know," Chloe smiles and kisses Beca's hand then her lips, taking the artist completely by surprise.

"Chloe, what-"

"I know, Beca. I know," she utters. "I wish you would have told me."

Beca hood her eyes, ashamed. "I'm sorry, Chlo. It's just... I thought you were too good for me and I was so messed up back then and I still am. All I wanted was for you to find someone to make you happy and I knew that couldn't have been me. I never stopped thinking about you though. I always hoped that you found happiness."

"I know you did," Chloe blinks back her tears as she gently strokes Beca's hair. "Even though I poked and prodded your brain, I still need you to tell me yourself, in your own words, how you feel and what you want because I'll be damned if I let the love of my life slip away from me. I lost you after college. I almost lost you today. I won't lose you again."

Beca raises Chloe's hand and kisses it. "You won't ever lose me, Chlo. I'm yours. I've always been yours."

A disobedient tear rolls down Chloe's cheek. "Are... are you sure?"

Beca smiles and the only reply she gives is a heartfelt kiss.