Chapter CLXIV - Staubrey: Don't Make A Beggar Of Me

Idea by ilovetoread2019

Bella Conrad loved her job as a nurse. Sure, it had its ups and downs but it was what the woman wanted to do with her life. She had always enjoyed helping people. She enjoyed learning about the human body and how it worked. She was such a smart kid growing up. Bella often wondered where she got the smarts from. Yes, her mother Stacie was smart but most of the time, the woman was as dumb as bricks. She was still a good single mother nonetheless and she was extremely proud of how far her baby girl had come and how well she was doing in her career.

A lot of things happened in Bella's nursing career but nothing was quite as unusual as when Bella was assigned to a new patient who had recently woken up out of a coma - Aubrey Posen. She had been in a coma for several months and was finally awake. The woman's family was worried that she wasn't going to make it but if Bella learned anything in her short time as a nurse, she knew anything could happen, even the strangest of things.

"Ms. Posen, my name is Bella and I'll be your nurse for your rehabilitation therapy." The woman stood tall and proud, her long, brown hair up in a ponytail with her green eyes piercing into Aubrey's.

"You are a very pretty young woman," said Aubrey.

"Aww! Thank you!" Bella smiled. "Now, I have spoken to the doctor and she has told me that you suffer from mild amnesia from your car accident you had several months ago."

"Yes," the blonde nodded. "I don't remember very much at all. I don't even remember all of my family members... It's horrible. I feel guilty but I haven't met these people... At least, I don't think I have... I don't know. It's all so fuzzy..."

"That's okay, Ms. Posen, we'll slowly work on your memory. Right now, we need to focus on getting you back on your feet. So, let's get started, shall we?"

Bella's smile was bright and it brought Aubrey great comfort amongst the stressful times. Aubrey trusted Bella more than she had trusted anyone in her life. Well, that wasn't entirely true. There WAS one person Aubrey trusted more than anyone she had ever met but unfortunately, that person was gone. The more Aubrey thought about it, the glummer she became and the melancholy was not lost on the nurse.

"Are you all right, Ms. Posen?" Bella asked. "You've been quiet this week."

"Call me Aubrey,"

"Are you all right, Aubrey?"

The blonde sighed. "No. Not really."

"Here, take a rest," Bella guided Aubrey away from the railing and sat her on a chair. "What's troubling you?"

"I have been getting help for my memory and things are failing to get back to me but... as soon as I saw you... I felt like I already met you or at least, met someone who looked a lot like you. Every time I see you, it feels as if a piece of my memory returns and I am that one step closer to finding out everything that I have lost... I don't know, maybe that's just wishful thinking..."

"I wouldn't say that at all," Bella's voice was upbeat and optimistic. "If my face helps you remember, then that's a good thing!"

Aubrey turned to the woman and noted her smile and warm expression. Aubrey felt like she was coming home. She felt like she had known Bella all her life and she felt like she could tell Bella anything, so she did.

"Do you have anyone special in your life, Bella?" Aubrey asked.

"No, not right now. I'm too focused on my work at the moment. Maybe later down the track. Do you?"

"I once had someone special in my life, yes," she nodded solemnly. "But she got away... The one that got away... How cheesy is that?"

"I don't think so. What happened?"