52

Astrid's POV

"What color today?" Christen asks as Kelley picks out her fingernail polish colors.

Today is the gold medal match of the Olympics and we are playing Great Britain.

We beat Japan in the quarter finals 3-0 then we beat Australia in the semi-finals 2-0 to reach todays game.

"Red and blue for the fingers and white for the thumbs." Kelley says then starts painting my nails.

I rest my head on Kelley's back and listen to her heart beat as she completes our pregame routine.

"Alright I'm done." Kelley says minutes after she started so I wrap my arms around my twin and hug her.

"Love you Kelloggs." I say.

"Love you Strides." Kelley says.

After our hug the team heads out to stretch and warm up.

Some time later the team finishes warming up so we head back into the locker room and I change into my aqua blue keepers kit. Once everyone's dressed Jill does her speech then the starters head to the tunnel and I stand in line behind Alex.

A few minutes later we walk out of the tunnel and onto the pitch then we stand for the anthems. After the anthems finish we take a picture of the lineup then Alex goes for the coin toss. Seconds later Alex comes over and we do our team huddle then everybody heads to their position and waits for the Brits to kick off which happens a few seconds later.

The first half of the game starts very fast and if the first 15 to 20 minutes are anything to go by then this is about to get entertaining as fuck.

In the 21st minute the Brits intercept a pass and they all stream towards our goal. Stanway runs toward my twin with the ball and right before Kelley closes her down she threads the ball to Erin Cuthbert. Cuthbert sprints towards goal then, right before she enters the 18 yard box, she slams her foot into the ball sending it towards the far post.

I jump to save the ball and the last moment I get a palm to the ball and push it over the bar then I fall to the ground.

"YES YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMAN." Kelley yells as the team pick me up and hug me.

"Focus." I say then get ready for the corner.

One of the Brits sends a ball to the far side of the box and right to Toni Duggan. Toni volleys the ball right at me and I parry it away for another corner. The Brits take the corner quickly and the ball comes close to me I run out and punch the ball away.

Suddenly I'm flying through the air and the next thing I know I feel metal on my spine then I hear the loud ringing of, I assume, me hitting the post.

I want to scream out in pain, but nothing happens.

No sound come out of my mouth

Oh fuck

I can't feel my legs.

WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME?

"Astrid what hurts?" Becky asks.

Both teams are crowded around me.

"Astrid can you hear us?" Alex asks, but I can't get anything to come out.

I blink once hoping she or someone understands.

"Alright blink once for yes and twice for no got it?" Alex says and I blink once.

Lindsey comes over and pours water into my mouth and lets me drink.

"Can you talk now?" Lindsey asks.