58

Astrid's POV

"I guess this is it." I say as we walk towards our locker room at Providence Park.

"You ready?" Kelley asks as she links our arms together.

"No." I say as we walk into the away locker room. "But I have to be."

Today's the NWSL Championship and we're playing Portland again, but this time it's in Portland. The game is also more hyped up since Tobin and I are public so the fans are making it a big deal.

"Damn Astrid." Corsie says as I strip out of my warm up shirt.

"What?" I question.

"Have you seen this yet?" The Scotswoman asks and holds up a magazine.

"Oh yeah." I say when I recognize it's the magazine Kelley and I shot for. "Kelley and I saw it a week ago."

"Did all of you buy one?" Kelley asks causing me to notice everyone in our locker room looking at the magazine.

"Yep." Christen says then she comes over and starts smacking Kelley with a foam roller.

"Ow. Shit. Chris. Why?" Kelley says as Christen hits her in the arm.

"Why. Didn't. You. Tell. Me. You. Could. Sing?" Christen says after each smack.

"It never came up." Kelley pouts and rubs the spot Christen hit while I put on my green keeper jersey.

Laura gathers everyone's attention and she does her team talk then the starters and I head to the tunnel and I get in my spot behind Becky since she's our captain. A couple seconds later we head onto the field to do the prematch ceremony stuff then we shake hands with the Thorns.

"Good luck Boo Bear." I say with a smile as I shake Tobin's hand.

"You to Beautiful." Tobin says then she moves down the line.

"Aww." I hear Kelley says as we shake hands with the ref.

Becky and Sinclair do the captains stuff then the back line heads to our positions and a couple seconds later the game kicks off.

In the 10th minute one of our midfielders gives the ball away to Lindsey. Lindsey immediately turns toward my goal and sees one of the forwards sprinting towards goal so she sends the ball towards her. As I watch the ball fly towards me I realize the forward won't get to it so I run out to get it and when I get to the penalty spot I jump up to get it, which I do.

Right as I grasp the ball, the forward, who I know recognize as Purce, slams into my legs which causes me to fall to the ground in a heap.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." I mumble into the stupid turf.

"REF THAT'S A RED." Someone from my team yells as I get to my knees.

While I'm sat on my legs I look at the ref and hold out my hands.

"There's no way she's getting to that." I say. " She's just trying to injure me so that's either a really hard yellow or a red."

The ref gives us a free kick and she gives Purce a yellow which draws a lot of angry reactions from my teammates.

"Gunny." I say and motion the Iceland native to me.

"Yeah?" Gunny says.

"Go stand by Purce." I say and Gunny looks at me in a confused manner. "Just trust me."

Gunny nods and jogs over to Purce as I lineup the free kick then once the whistle blows I drill the ball straight at Purce. The Thorn attacker gets hit in the stomach and falls to the ground for a second then she tries to get the ball, but fortunately Gunny collected the ball and start running up field.