77

Astrid's POV

"SOMEONE WANNA TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" I question and look around the locker room. "WE'RE 2 NIL DOWN TO FUCKING JAMAICA ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Nobody says anything.

"I THOUGHT LAST GAME AGAINST COSTA RICA WAS A ONE OFF, BUT IF THIS IS HOW YOU GUYS ARE GONNA PLAY THEN SOME OF YOU ARE GONNA BE RIDING THE BENCH FOR A LONG TIME."

Right now it's halftime of the 3rd place game of 2022 CONCACAF Women's Championship and we're losing to Jamaica. A couple days ago we lost 1-0 to Costa Rica so we have to win tonight to automatically qualify otherwise we have to play a 2 leg play off against someone from a different confederation to qualify.

In the group stage we beat Haiti then we drew our other two games against Mexico and Cuba which was thankfully enough to top our group.

Needless to say I'm fucking fuming at the teams performance.

"GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES OR STAY IN THE FUCKING LOCKER ROOM."

Once I've gotten everything off my chest I grab a Powerade then head back towards the pitch, but I get stopped by Alex Curry.

"Astrid what was your message at half-time?" Alex Curry asks.

"To pull their head out of their asses." I admit. "Before the Costa Rica game we hadn't lost once since I took charge of the team and I'll be damned if we lose two in a row." I say then I head to the bench.

A minute or two later the teams come back onto the pitch and everyone heads to where their supposed to be then Jamaica restart the game.

I guess my halftime speech struck a cord with the team because in the first 10 minutes of the the second half the girls pepper the goal with shots, but Sydney Schneider turns them all away.

In the 56th minute Abby throws the ball in to Alana who then crosses the ball across the field to my twin. Kelley then jogs with it up field right by me as I stand on the touchline

"Look at Press." I say when I see my Stanford buddy streaking into open space.

Kelley quickly looks up and see's what I see then she looks down and plays a long diagonal ball across the field and into Christen's feet. Christen continues her run towards goal, but a Jamaican cuts off her run so she cuts back then crosses the ball into the box. Lindsey comes out of no where and out jumps everyone then she heads the ball into the back of the net which pulls us with in 1 goal of the Reggae Girlz.

Alex is the closest player to the ball so she grabs the ball out of the net and everyone runs back up field.

"HEY." I shout then the eleven players on the field look at me. "Good work. Keep going an get me another one quick."

The girls nod then they focus on the game.

Two minutes later we get a corner and My Boo Bear gets the assist on Julie's goal. Five minutes after our second goal we get our third goal from Christen with an assist from her wife, Alex. Unfortunately in the build up to our third goal, Kelley falls to the ground in front of me.

"You okay?" I ask as I wipe Kelley's hair from her face.

"Yeah." Kelley says. "It's just a cramp."

"Do you wanna come off?"

"If I can yeah." Kelley says. "I can kinda feel my ankle injury flaring up again."

"Alright." I say then I help my twin to her feet.

The trainers help my twin off the field then I look at the subs.

"SOFIA." I yell then the converted right back comes jogging over to me.

"Yes?" Sofia says as someone hands her her jersey.

"You're going in for Kelley." I say and Sofia nods then heads into the game.

I return to my spot on the bench and watch the rest of the game.

When the ref blows her whistle signaling full time I exhale knowing we've qualified thanks to Alex's two goals that helped lock down our 5-2 win.

"Thank fuck." I mumble then shake hands with the Jamaican coach's hand.

I shake hands with the refs then I head into the locker room and change out of my suit. Once I'm changed I put my suit in the suit bag then I walk over to my wife.

"Here." I mumble then hand my wife her ring.

Tobin grabs her rings and puts in on then I face the team.

The whole team look at me and wait for me to say something, but I just shake my head, grab my stuff, then head to the bus. I get on the bus, sit in mine and Tobin's row, then rest my eyes the whole way back to the hotel. Once we pull up to the hotel I get out of my seat, grab the microphone, then face the team.

"You all have recovery then you're free until lunch tomorrow." I say then put the mic up. 

I grab my stuff then get off the bus and head up to Tobin and I's room. When I get in the room I hang my suit up then strip and take a shower. After my shower I dry myself off, change into sweat pants and crop top, then I lay on the bed with my phone and a tablet. Once on the bed I scroll through twitter for a minute until I come a cross a tweet that US Soccer put out about my record as the manager.

"Stupid loss." I mumble when I see my record is 36 wins 3 draws and 1 loss as the US Women's National Team manager.

I lock my phone up then grab the tablet and look over the stats and tactical stuff from the game.

"Baby?" Tobin says when she comes into the room.

"Hi." I say as I look over the stats and tactical shit from the last two games.

"Oh Astrid." Tobin says then she walks over to me.

My wife takes the tablet and place it on the unused bed then she gets on the bed, straddles me, and cups my face.

"Stop." Tobin whispers as she strokes my face. "You can be coach Astrid tomorrow, but right now just be Astrid my wife."

"I'm a failure." I mumble.

"No Astrid you're not." My wife says as I look away from her. "We just had a bad game. That's all it is."

"I yelled at you though."

"You were pissed." Tobin reasons. "Hell all of us were pissed. We played like shit.......Baby look at me."

I do as told and look at my wife.

Tobin and I stare at each other for awhile while Tobin brushes my cheek.

"I'm gonna go shower then you and I are gonna do anything besides talk about the match okay?" Tobin questions.

"Hurry and shower." I say then kiss my wife. "I need cuddles from my Boo Bear."