Welcome to Arcadia Oaks High

One foot before the other, step by step. I looked up at the main building of Arcadia Oaks High, my black backpack over my shoulder, filled with the necessary text books and note books for my classes.

"Ok, Sonya . . ." I mumbled as I walked past a variety of students, "New school, and a new chance at somewhat normality. . . " I sighed. I then pulled out a slip of paper which held my class schedule and my locker number along with it's combination. I dodged other students, and made my way to the court yard, the sun bright against my body, I brushed my hair from my face, before looking up to the rows of blue lockers and I came to a stop before locker number 25, the number matched the number on my slip of paper.

I sighed then looked at my schedule, I didn't need my Spanish book or my Algebra book just yet so I figured it would be a good idea to put the books in my locker until I would need them later that day. I followed the combination on the slip of paper and opened my locker with ease, I looked around, taking in the students around me.

Some were tall, others short, all of them were probably socially awkward. Eh, part of being a teenager. I pulled out my books and slid them into the small space. I then noticed a two young Sophomores next to me.

The first was short and chubby, in a red sweater vest over a yellow button up, braces stuck to his teeth and his brown hair was slicked back. The other was taller, with black hair, blue eyes. He was in a blue jacket, and jeans. He looked to me,

"Oh, you're the new transfer right?" he asked, "Uh, Sonnie?" he tried to think of my name.

I chuckled and closed my locker door, "Sonya," I corrected, "Sonya Wolf." I turned to him, "And you are?"

"Oh, I'm Jim Lake, this is Toby." he jabbed a thumb at the chubby kid next to him.

Toby walked up to me, "Whoa . . . you have a nose piercing!" he pointed to my nose.

I reached up to the blue stone what was pierced through my nostril, and I chuckled, "Yeah, I do. What's the big deal?" I asked.

Jim rolled his eyes and shoved Toby aside, "He's not used to seeing someone with piercings." he then leaned up against his locker, "So, where are you form?"

I looked at him before shouldering my backpack, "Uh . . . South Dakota." I quickly replied, "Yeah, mom and dad wanted me outta the house so . . ." I shrugged, "I got a host family down the road."

"Wait . . ." Toby rubbed his chin, "who are you staying with?"

I froze at his question, I really need to start prepping for follow-ups . . .I turned to the chubby individual, "Uh, a couple. Nice family, but they don't have kids so . . ."

We were interrupted by the bell, signalling that class was about to start, I exhaled then brushed my hair from my face, "Alright, I'll see you?" I asked.

"Yeah, at lunch." Jim offered, "I'll have you meet Claire."

"Yeah, and, we'll help you find the best meal!" Toby called as I walked away, "Oh, warning: Do not eat the Chicken Surprise!" he warned.

I rolled my eyes as I pushed a door open, I sighed once the door closed behind me, first class of the day was Social Studies, and then my elective, Zoology. I walked down the halls of the school, dodging students, and listening to the merry chatter of girl clicks and boys fawning over the girls.

I took a moment to take in the scene around me before sighing, this was my new normal. Let's just hope it stays that way.