...Before Rising to Great Heights

Third Person's POV~

Draal shut his eyes, as tears coursed down his face. He wasn't one to cry, in fact, it had been many centuries since he had cried. He didn't even shed a tear when his father, Kanjigar, passed.

But this was different. This pulled on his heart, and wrenched his throat shut as he cradled Sonya's lifeless body. The bleeding had all but stopped, but it was so much blood loss, so many wounds that . . . there was no chance Sonya would have survived.

Draal stroked her face, his fingers running through her matted brown fur. His fingers shaking uncontrollably, felling her blood on his skin. Her face was still warm, his hand ran over her forehead as he hoisted her up, and slid his arms under her legs and picked her up gently. Sonya's head slumped against his chest and he bit his lip, stifling a sob as he walked back over to the others.

Jim took a step forward and pressed two fingers to Sonya's neck, and he bit his lip, "No pulse. She's gone." he murmured.

Draal knelt before them, and laid Sonya down on the grass. He cupped her face before sealing his eyes shut, and leaning down, pressing his forehead to hers.

"I'm sorry . . ." Draal's voice was just below a whisper, his tone strained as he stifled his sobs, "I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you, Sonya." He nuzzled her bloody cheek, "I love you."

Draal then felt a hand close on his shoulder, the hand belonging to Arrrgh. Draal looked back to the bigger troll who gave a soft, sympathetic growl before pulling on his arm slightly.

"No." Draal wrenched his arm free, "I won't leave her." he looked down to Sonya's dead form, "I won't." He sealed his eyes shut again as a tear streamed down his cheek and plopped onto Sonya's bloody cheek, and as that tear settled into the blood and her fur the moon came out from behind the clouds. It was a crescent moon, stark white against the navy sky. There were no stars, just the moon.

The moon's light shone down through the trees, and bathed Sonya's body, illuminating the blood on her fur.

Arrrgh pulled Draal away from Sonya, but the blue troll protested, in a frenzied state of grief and self-blame. Before a howling filled the woods. Draal, Arrrgh, Blinky, Claire, Toby, and Jim all froze up hearing the howl tear through the trees violently. Jim summoned daylight,

"What was that?" he asked, peaking a brow.

Blinky rubbed his chin, "Dare I say, but, that sounded strikingly like . . ."

"Loboan." Arrrgh finished, letting Draal go.

Draal looked around, reaching for his axe, "Show your face!" he demanded, his eyes now dry of tears.

The howl soon faded, and was replaced with an intense silver light bathing down on Sonya. A wind soon picked up and began shaking the trees, the howling resumed as the light then bent and twisted manifesting itself into . . . a huge white Loboan with a sapphire diamond in his forehead, but . . . this one had huge wings resting on his back.

The Loboan seemed to flicker in and out of existence, it's image swaying with the wind as the gale shook the trees around our heroes.

"Who are you?" Claire asked hesitantly.

The ghostly Loboan looked to the small human and spoke, his voice was warm, yet stern, but also soft, and it came from all directions like the howling wind, "I am the father of fathers." he raised a clawed hand to the moon, "The moon is my domain."

Blinky's six eyes went huge, "Y-you're---my Gorkus--you're the first Loboan Chief!" he exclaimed, "Chief Jerome!"

The silver-eyed, white-fured Loboan nodded, "Yes. I see you have been studying, Blinkous." he then looked down to Sonya and knelt over her, resting a forearm over his knee. Jerome's spirit was depicted in wearing a leather kilt-like skirt and nothing else, he looked to the others,