It Comes by Night . . . and Hunts Cats

That Night~~(?POV)

I paced through the bushes, my ears pinned back, my tail hovering just above the earth. My paws carefully placing themselves, finding the grass between the litter of sticks and rocks. My breath came in ragged huffs, my chest rising and falling. Before me was my pray, a cute tabby cat perched on a wood-plank fence, it just sat there, licking it's dainty little paw. I hunkered low and bared my long saber-like fangs and took one step forward, my tail lashing back and forth.

The cat seemed preoccupied with it's grooming to notice me, it mewed softly before turning it's head and licking it's back. I pinned my pointed ears, then lowered my body, one, two . . . three! I lunged forward, my jaws unhinged and my claws extended.

The cat's head snapped up and it hissed, before jumping clear.

Oh, no. . .

I let out an undignified yelp before I smashed through the wood fence and landed on my face in soft grass. It was . . . humiliating to say the least.

"What in Deya's Grace?!"

"What the heck?!"

I lifted my head and shook it, I snarled, and I looked up and what I saw made my heart stop for a second. Before me stood . . . Jim Lake and . . . a Troll?! The Troll was one of the three from the night before, the one with a blue hide and huge pale horns.

Jim looked at me then grabbed a small silver disk and held it up, "For the Glory of Merlin, Daylight is Mine to Command!" suddenly silver armor appeared around his form and clamped to his body, he then held out his hand and summoned a sword.

I bared my teeth and my tail tucked as I tucked into the shadows, keeping my body hidden, I walked along the fence on all fours snarling loudly.

"Trollhunter," the Troll dressed Jim, "be on your guard." he rumbled in a gravelly tone.

I froze mid step, Jim Lake is the Trollhunter . . .? I shook it off quickly and began scanning for an exit, my eyes taking in the detail of the yard, the boy and the Troll's fighting stance. I then made my move, running faster than expected, I knocked the human off his feet.

"Trollhunter!" The Troll exclaimed before turning to me, "You monster!"

I ducked low and pinned him to the ground, I then snarled at him, baring my teeth. The Troll grit his teeth, "Get off me!" he smacked me across the muzzle and I yelped and rolled across the grass before jumping over the fence and I tore into the woods, panting.

Third Person's POV~

"Draal!" Jim ran over as the big Troll sat up, rubbing the back of his neck, "Are you ok?" he asked.

Draal grunted, snorting, "I am fine, Trollhunter." he stood up, and growled, "What was that?" he asked, completely bewildered.

Jim shrugged, pulling off the Amulet, the armor vanishing in blue shimmering light, "All I saw was fur and ears."

Draal walked across the grass, and knelt down, "Trollhunter, look at this." he snorted, the ring through his nostrils wavering.

Jim walked over and knelt beside Draal, there in the grass was the paw print of a giant dog, "Oh, boy . . ." he mumbled.

"This are the same tracks from our mission to rescue that Gnome," Draal rumbled, "what was that creature?"

Jim sighed, "Maybe Vendel will know." he suggested.

"Mmm, perhaps." Draal rumbled, rubbing his chin. The big troll turned his fire-like eyes to the busted fence panel and beyond into the woods, the creature looked more terrified than aggressive. It definitely showed dog-like traits but it was no way a werewolf, if it was, Jim would be injured.

Draal chuffed and looked to Jim, "Trollhunter," he rumbled, "I fear this enemy is one I do not know." he gazed at the tracks, "it is no werewolf, but it displays dog-like features."

Jim peaked a brow, "So . . . should I break out the silver and Holy Water?"

Draal turned to him, "You do not defeat werewolves with Holy Water," he said, "you use Silver bullets and wooden staves." he shrugged.

Jim pinched the bridge of his nose, "Of course . . . staves," he then looked up at him, "so . . . what are we going to do?"

"For now," Draal brushed some dust from his shoulder, "we stay on top guard and once it shows it's face, we take it down."

Jim nodded, "I can get on board with that."

Suddenly the unmistakable sound of a car pulling in reached Jim's ears, "Oh, no! Mom!" she turned to Draal, "In the basement! Now!"

Draal tensed up before running to the house and slipping down the stairs as quietly as a huge troll could, the steps creaked as Draal made his way to the bottom of the stairs. Jim was at the top of the steps and he hissed down to Draal, "Shh!" he made a shushing motion with his finger before slamming the door shut.

Draal gave a sigh before making his way over to the furnace and he reached in and grabbed a few embers before eating them. Draal gave a content sigh before he began thinking of that odd, odd creature that had attacked them.

What was it?