The Perfect Sis

Third Person, that night~

No one slept, not a Loboan, or Draal, Jim, and Arrrgh. The all sat in Hougan's den, watching Sonya. Sonya had been stripped of her shirt, and her entire upper body was covered in bandages, which were now blotched red with blood from her wounds. A blanket covered her legs and hips and a pillow made of folded blankets and mountain ram's wool cradled her head. Sonya's hair had been pulled away from her pale face as she slept.

"This is my fault." Jim stated as he sat before the fire on an animal skin, "If I hadn't been so blind I-"

"Not Jim's fault." Arrrgh assured, putting his hand on Jim's shoulder.

Draal huffed, "It's her own fault for getting stabbed." He said dismissively, trying not to look at Sonya's pained expression.

Jim looked at Draal with widened eyes, "You don't mean that." he snapped, pulling his knees to his chest, "Sonya saved my life, and that's all you have to say? Honestly, I'd expect better from you . . ." he looked down.

Arrrgh growled lowly, "Sonya save Jim, not her fault she is hurt."

Draal froze, before he looked to Sonya who shifted in her death-like sleep. Her face contorted in pain, Draal looked down to his hands, which were illuminated by the fire before him. On his palms were blood stains, Sonya's bloodstains. Draal felt slightly uneasy about having Sonya's blood on his hands, his real and his fake one. Draal's eyes narrowed before he looked up,

"Where's Hougan?" he asked, looking to the cave entrance, which was blocked with a curtain of animal skins.

"Checking defenses." Arrrgh rumbled.

Draal growled, "He has time to check his defenses, but no time to love and care for his own child?" he asked, gesturing to Sonya.

"T-the pack . . . comes . . . first . . ."

Draal froze, and slowly, painfully slowly turned seeing Sonya's emerald orbs open, staring up at the ceiling as she took in a ragged breath. Sonya seemed to be half awake, and half asleep.

"Sonya!" Jim ran over, "Hey, you had us worried there!" he knelt over her, "how do you feel?" he asked, getting excited that his new friend was awake.

Sonya seemed to ignore Jim as she stared right at Draal, "The-the pack always . . . " she coughed hard, "comes . . .first . . ."

"Sonya." Draal said warningly, "Easy."

Sonya winced, before her eyes rolled back in her head and they closed and she went limp again. Draal tensed up and looked at her,

"Is she-?"

Jim put two fingers to the vein in her neck, "She's alive, just passed out." Jim stood up, and walked off, "I'm gonna try and get Hougan in here, or at least one of the siblings." he vanished behind the curtain of animal skins.

Arrrgh stood up, "I go help Jim. Stay with Sonya."

Draal didn't object. He watched Arrrgh leave before he turned his full attention to Sonya, he scooted closer to her and watched her. Sonya's face was tilted to the left, her hair falling before her shut eyes. Draal watched her breathe, before he reached out and moved her hair from her eyes and let his fingers run down her cheek.

Her skin was so cold.

Draal pulled his hand away and looked her over, seeing the blood blotch on her bandages. Draal let his hands rest in his lap as he watched her,

"Foolish, crazy mongrel . . ." he mumbled.

Sonya shifted a little bit, then opened her eyes, "Crazy? Maybe. Stupid? Nu-uh." she coughed a little bit.