You'll Live

I ran through the woods, my paws kicking up dirt and stone, I then stood up and ran on two legs. I panted hard, my tongue lolling out, I then slowed my pace to a walk. I panted hard, holding my chest as blood matted in my fur along my face, I then looked up at the moon.

I swallowed thickly, before making my way back to Jim's home. I walked through the woods, my bare feet making heavy thudding noises on the soft grass. Soon, the trees parted to reveal a panel fence. Jim's house. I jumped over the fence and landed in his back yard, crumbling to my knees. I reached up and held my bleeding face, "Dang it . . ." I mumbled, reverting to my human form.

I walked around Jim's house, careful to stay below the windows, I came to the small window and pried it open. I pulled my body through the window and fell to the floor, panting desperately. My heart was in my throat as I rolled over onto my back, my brown hair in my eyes and mouth.

I panted hard and fast, closing my eyes, "For the love of . . ." I couldn't finish my sentence, I winced in pain, and touched my face. I hissed in pain as I felt the cuts across my face,

"I'm a magnet for pain . . ." I mumbled, then chuckled weakly, "Sheesh, Sonya, what would Papa think of you now?" I forced myself to sit up, and I watched as blood dripped onto the floor. I then blinked for a moment,

"Oh, I hope Draal doesn't see this." I pulled my knees to my chest and stared into the glowing coals. I then felt something in my eye, it stung pretty badly. I reached up to rub my eye only to find the rim wet with tears,

"What . . .?" I stared down at my fingers to find them dampened with tears.

"Ah, Loboan,"

I froze up and dared to turn around. Draal stood in the tunnel's doorway, staring at me, "What in Deya's Name happened to you?" he asked, stunned.

"Nothing. I fell on a rock." I waved him off and looked away, holding my bleeding face.

I felt Draal come up behind me and he then sat beside me, "Do not lie to me." He reached out, but I shied away,

"Draal, leave it-"

"Shut it, Puppy!" Draal cut me off and grabbed my jaw and forced me to look at him. Draal then froze up, his eyes widened in shock,

"Sonya . . ." his hand shook against my skin, it was his good hand and I could feel his cool stone hide on my bloody face.

I yanked my head away and scooted away from him, feeling tears fill my eyes, "Draal, I'm fine."

"You are clearly not!" Draal objected, "I am not stupid, Loboan," he pointed to my face, "those are slash marks, not impact wounds." He leaned over to me and snorted in my face, "And you are crying." he poked my chest.

I bared my teeth, and assumed my huge Loboan form and I pinned him down, my jaws wide open, "So what?! I was attacked by Gunmar, why would you care?!" I felt blood run down my face and it dripped onto Draal's stunned expression.

"You . . . were attacked by Gunmar?" he asked in a soft tone.

I blinked, then pulled off him and backed into the corner, "S-Shut up, Stone Skin." I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my muzzle on my knees.

Draal froze up, but he then gave a deep sigh, " Why did you stay and fight him?" he asked, "Gunmar is Lord of the Gumm-Gumms, there is a reason why he is--"

"Be cause I had no choice!" I shouted at him, my ears pinned back as another tear threatened my eye, "If I ran to Trollmarket, Gunmar would have followed, if I ran back here, Gunmar would have found Jim's home, his mother and-" I stopped myself from finishing the last part of that sentence.

Draal said nothing for a long, awkward moment, before he stood up and walked over to me, careful to not whack his horns on the low level roof. He then knelt before me and grabbed my muzzle roughly.

"Hey! What are you-?!" I was stopped short, seeing that Draal was actually examining the cuts on my face.

"Well, they do not look too bad." His fire-like eyes met mine, "You'll live."

I could only stare in utter shock.