Part 1

It was a usual winter afternoon in laxminagar in delhi when two sisters payal and khushi were sitting in their balcony chitchatting.

Payal was about 25 and khushi was 23. Khushi was payal's cousin and has lived with her since she was eight; when her parents passed away in an accident. They initially stayed in lucknow but had to shift base to delhi where they were staying with payal's buaji, after payal's father lost his job. He managed a very small job in a garment store in delhi.

Khushi: jiji aj kitni thand hai na? (it is so cold today na?)

Payal: haan khushi...humey andar jaana chahiye nehito thand lag jayegi..agar thand lag gayi to amma aur buaji ki daant paregi (yes..we should go inside or else will catch a cold and if we catch a cold buaji and amma are going to scold us)

Khushi: kya jiji tum bhi..aur is waqt amma, babuji, buaji koi bhi ghar pe nehi hai (you are always scared..anyways they are not at home now)

She got up and danced around: humey to sardi ka mausam bohot pasand hai..yeh thandi thandi hawaye, yeh neela aakash, garam garam chaye ki pyaali...bas kami hai to ek pyaar karnewala sathi ki (I love winters...the cold breeze, blue sky, hot cup of tea...only thing that lacks in our life is a life partner)

She hugged payal by her neck. payal hit her on the head and said; bilkul pagal hai tu (you are mad)

Khushi: jiji batao na tumhe kaisa jeevansathi chahiye? (say na what kind of a partner you would want)

Payal blushed. Khushi: jiji tum to aise sharma rahi ho jaise hum tumharey sasural se aaye hai...batao na jiji(you are blushing as if I have come from your in laws place...say na )

Payal: koi aisa jo bohot hi sidha aur suljha hua ho..jo humey bohot saara pyaar aur izzat de (a simple guy who will love and respect me a lot)

Khushi made a face: kya jiji..bas itna sa hai tumhara sapna? (only this much)

Payal: haan khushi...par tu bata ki tujhe kaisa jeevansathi chahiye(yes..now you say what do you want)s

Khushi: jiji dekhna hamara rajkumar to safed ghorey pe charkey ayega, aur humey apne sath ura ke le jayega...hamarey har sapne ko, har armaan ko pura karega, hamari ankhon mein ek bhi aansu aaney nehi dega aur hamarey mange bina hi hamarey liye aasman se chaand taarey tod ke layega...(my prince would come in a white horse and would take me away with him..he will fulfill all my dreams not let a single drop of tear fall from my eyes, he will get the stars and moons from the sky)

She was lost in her own world as she said these words.

Payal smiled at her sister's gestures and antics and said: khushi kitni filmi hai na tu..(you are so filmy)

Khushi was about to reply but she stopped seeing a long white car stop infront of her house. She had never seen such a car in laxminagar. She stood up along with Payal. Both the sisters exchanged looks. A very handsome guy in his late twenties came down from the car. He opened his glares and looked around the area once. He was soon joined by three other men who got down from another car. He pointed towards the houses and gave some instructions to the men. Khushi suddenly saw their landlord shuklaji approaching him. One of his men gave shukaji some papers which he signed. The guy instructed one of his men saying: aman yeh aj hi khali ho jaani chahiye aur kal se construction ka kaam bhi shuru hona chahiye. (this place should be empty today and the work should start tomorrow)

The guy turned to approach his car.

Khushi heard this and her world shook...what was he saying?? She couldn't keep her patience anymore and came out on the road and said: suniye..(listen)

The guy turned around and their eyes met. The hazel eyes of khushi looked angrily at those chocolate brown eyes.

Khushi: yeh aap kya kar rahe hai??(what are you doing?)

Before the guy could say anything, shuklaji stepped in and said: khushi bitiya inhone yeh jagah kharidi hai aur aap sabko aj hi yeh jagah khali karni paregi (he has bought this place and we need to leave this place today)

Khushi looked at shuklaji in disbelief and said: kya??? Aap yeh kaisi baatein kar rahe hai? Khali karni paregi..aise kaise khali karni paregi..koi bhi aakey aise..(what? What are you saying? We need to leave? How can someone come just like that and...)

The guy said; listen maine yeh jagah kharidi hai ...so..aj hi yeh jagah khali ho jani chahiye(I have bought this place ...so you have to leave today)

Khushi left her anger and pleaded him with tears in her eyes: dekhiye aap aisa mat kijiye...kaha jayenge hum sab...hum aapke agey hath jortey hai aap..(please don't do this...where will we all go...I beg of u)

There was something in this girl that attracted the guy. Nobody had ever dared to even speak a word infront of him, but this girl kept on talking. She was so simple yet so beautiful. Those eyes were so innocent but conveyed so many emotions.

But he got a grip on himself and said by clenching his fist: mujhe tumhari bakwas sunne ka koi shauq nehi..get out of my way...(I don't want to listen to all this rubbish..get out of my way)

In the meantime everyone from the neighbourhood had also gathered.

He opened the car door to get in when khushi said bursting with anger: humey nehi pata ki aap kaun hai, lekin itna zarur samajh chukey hai ki aap insaan nehi hai (I don't know who you are but have understood that you are inhuman)

He held the car door tightly to control his anger and looked at her.

Khushi: kyunki aap agar insaan hotey to doosrey insaano ki taklif samajhtey..arey agar kabhi aapke sath aisa hota na ki aapki parivar walon ko ek pal mein koi ghar se uthake raastey pe le aata tab aapko samajh mein aata...(because if you had humanity, you would have understood other's pain...if this ever happens with you then you will understand..)

He got a flashback of his childhood where he and his sister were thrown out of their house after their parents died.

He walked upto her and yelled: shut up...just shut up..scaring khushi to the core...and said: maine yeh jagah kharidi hai...I have paid for it damn it!

Tears were rolling down thick and fast from her eyes. She was scared but still continued: aapne jo bhi kimat diya hoga woh rehenewale logon ki zindagi se barke to nehi hoga na..kahiye kya kimat diya hai aapne (whatever you have paid will definitely not be more than the lives of the people living here)

The guy said: pachhis lakh...(25 lakhs)

Khushi had her mouth open in shock: kya? Pa..pachis lakh?(what? 25 lakhs?)

He smirked and said: kya hua..chauk kyun gayi...aww I see itne saarey rupaye tumne zindagi mein kabhi dekhe nehi honge..dekhe kya shayed kabhi itni bari rakam ke barein mein suna bhi nehi hoga (what happened? Why are you shocked? Oh I see you must have not seen so much money in your life...actually never heard of so much money)

He then again walked upto his car, turned around and said: dus din...main tumhe dus din ka time deta hoon...agar in dus dino mein tum itni rakam ikattha kar payi to fir main yeh tumhe wapas kar dunga...or else.... He smirked again...10 days...(I am giving you 10 days ..if you can pay me back I will give back the land to you...10 days)

He didn't wait for her answer but started his car. The dust particles covered khushi as his car zoomed past and she stood there like a statue.

How is it. Please DO vote and comment.

This work belongs to med writer Arnavkikhushiforever