Part 9

At laxminagar, khushi was working in the kitchen, when the kids from the neighbourhood called her from the window.

Kids: khushi didi, khushi didi

Khushi's eyes popped out as she saw them near the window. She quickly checked for buaji and said in a whisper: tum log yahaan kya kar rahe ho..jaldi bhago yahaan se agar buaji ne dekhliya to fir aj hamari khair nehi (what are you people doing here..if buaji sees then she will not leave me)

Kids: didi chalona waha kulfiwala aaya hai..chalona (the man who sells kulfi has come, please come na)

Khushi's mouth watered at the thought of having kulfi and said: kulfi!!!

Kids: haan didi..

Khushi muttered: yahaan ka kaam to hogaya..ek kulfi to khani hai..ladke walon ke aane se pehele aa jayenge.(I have finished all the work here..i will just have one kulfi..will be back before the raizadas come)

She ran out with the kids from the backdoor.

Buaji walked in to the kitchen after a while and saw khushi missing.

Buaji: hai rey nandkisore..ee parameswari kaha gayi..khusiii..oo khusii..(where did this girl go?)

But she didn't get any answer. She was about to yell but the doorbell rang just then. She went to open the door saying: aayi hogi maharani saari duniya ghumke. (she must have come after roaming around the whole world)

But to her surprise standing at the door was raizada family. She welcomed everyone in. After exchanging greetings payal was called in. Nani gave her the shagun. Anjali asked: khushiji dikhai nehi de rahi hai..(where is khushi?)

Buaji: nandkisore woh aati hi hogi. She thought: ee sankadevi ka koi bharosa nehi hai.(she will come in sometime; you never know with her)

Just then khushi was returning with two kulfi in her hand, happily having both together, when her eyes fell on the cars parked outside. She said: hey devi maaiya, lagta hai woh log aa gaye..mar gaye ab buaji humey zinda nehi chhoregi..kya karein??(oh god ..they have arrived..now buaji wont leave me...what do I do?)

Then she thought with a smile: karna kya hai khushi, jaise gaye they, waise hi andar jayenge..peechey ke darwazey se.(what else..i will get in as I went out...from the back door)

Arnav had also arrived but he got confused and entered through the back door and was unable to figure out where to go. Khushi was tiptoeing in the house, with the kulfis in her hand and banged against arnav. The kulfis brushed her lips and flew outside, while she herself landed in his arms. A welcome which arnav never thought of. Khushi was so shocked, that she forgot everything and kept looking at him without even blinking once.

Suddenly she heard buaji saying: khusiii..khusiii parameswari kaha rahe gayi. (where are you khushi?)

She quickly got up, looked away and tried to go, when arnav said: wait!

Khushi stopped. He came slowly and stood infront of her and looked into her eyes. Khushi couldn't understand anything. He slowly lifted his hand and rubbed the sides of her lips cleaning the kulfi that was stuck there, without breaking eye contact sending a chill through both their spines. Khushi had her mouth open in shock. She moved back two steps.

Arnav then saw the front door and walked away. As he went away khushi touched the side of her lips and was surprised to feel the warmth of his fingers which was still lingering there.

She went inside from the backdoor while arnav entered at the same time from the front door. They exchanged a look and khushi quietly went and stood beside buaji.