Part 13

After everyone went away arnav went to his room. He thought of khushi for a while and then swore to himself: ajke baad main us ladki ke baarein mein kabhi nehi sochunga. Ajke baad khushi sirf ek naam ke mere liye kuch nehi hai...she means nothing to me. (I will not think about her again...she will be just a name for me from today)

The mehndi function was next and that was also to be held at shantivan. Arnav had made up his mind that he would not get affected by anything that happens. Khushi and payal arrived with their family members for the function. Khushi didn't know why she felt extremely guilty as soon as she stepped in the house. The ladies were putting mehndi on their khushi and payal's hand, when arnav walked in. Khushi saw arnav walking in and to avoid meeting his eyes picked up a mehndi cone and started putting it n her hand unmindfully. She had so much going on in her hand that she started applying mehndi on the 'R' that was written on her hand and made it an 'A'. She didn't realize what she was doing till anjali asked her: khushiji aapka mehndi lagana ho gaya? (have you finished your mehndi?)

She said: ji anjaliji... and then looked at her hand and realized what she had done. (yes)

Anjali: achha dikhaiye..(show)

She quickly hid it behind her back and said: nehi anjaliji...hamara matlab, abhi thoda sa baki hai...pura khatam ho jaye fir dikhatey hai (no..actually a little is left..let me complete it then I will show)

Arnav who was standing right behind her saw the 'A' in her hand and immediately all his self promises started to lose its importance.

He came and stood in front of khushi making her even more nervous.

Nani said: bitiya ab to bas kuch hi din baki hai, fir aap dono naye jeevan maa kadam rakhogi..khushi bitiya uhaa naye ghar mein jaikey humey bhul to naahi jayengina?( now only a few days are left before you both step into a new life... khushi you won't forget us na after your wedding)

Khushi's eyes met arnav's as nani said this. Her heart felt heavy and her eyes became wet at the thought of separating from him. She quickly excused herself and ran outside. Arnav was a bit taken aback; her pain was not unnoticed by him. He went outside and saw khushi standing against a pillar and crying. He slowly put his hand on her shoulders and said: khushi..

Khushi quickly wiped her tears and moved away a few steps and said: ji (yes)

Arnav turned her towards him and said: tum thik ho?(are you alright?)

Khushi looked away and said: hu..hum ..hum thik hai (yes I am fine)

Arnav lifted her chin pointed towards her wet eyes and said: to yeh kya hai? (then what is this?)

Khushi faked a smile and said: yeh..yeh to bas aise hi..(this is just like that)

She started walking away when she heard him say: kya tum khush ho? (are you happy?)

Khushi stopped and turned to look at him.

He repeated himself: kya tum is shaadi se khush ho? (are you happy with this marriage)

Khushi: aap..aap aisa kyun pooch rahe hai..hum..(me..)

Arnav pulled her towards him and said: kya tum khush ho? (are you happy)

Khushi said: amma, babuji, buaji sab khush hai... Isiliye..(amma, babuji, buaji are happy)

Arnav brought his face very close to her and said almost in a whisper: haan ya na? (yes or no)

Khushi was lost in the intensity of the moment for few seconds, then she managed to gather her strengths and pushed him away and said: humne kaha na sab khush hai..aur hamari khushi se aapko koi fark nehi parni chahiye. (I said na everyone is happy and how does my happiness matter to you)