Part 32

Khushi...khushi...khushi stop... Arnav called out for her..but khushi didn't stop, she kept running out of the house and was on the road. She was not even looking at the cars speedily approaching her. Arnav saw from behind that she was not paying attention at all. He called out again: khushi careful! 

In the process a car came and hit arnav. He shouted: khushiiii!!! 

Hearing this cry khushi came back to her senses. She turned around and saw arnav on the ground, blood oozing out. Khushi screamed in fear: arnavjiiiiii!!!!! 

She ran like crazy to him. Her hands shook as she lifted his head on her lap. With trembling hands khushi wiped his face as blood dripped down his head and said: arnavji...arnavji..aap..(Arnavji arnavji you) 

Arnav looked at her and said: I am sorry khushi...I am really sorry!! Khushi cried out loudly and cupped his face saying: nehi arnavji... Aapko kuch nehi hoga...hum aapko kuch nehi hone denge..(No arnavji..nothing will happen to you...I won't let anything happen to you) 

He was in tremendous pain but still a smile lingered on his face. He tried to lift his hand to touch her face. But lost his senses on her lap. 

Khushi held him and cried desperately saying: arnavji...naai....arnavji...aap aisa nehi kar saktey...(Arnavji...no...arnavji..you can't do this) 

Some people on the road helped her to take arnav to the hospital. 

Khushi was shaking absolutely..only arnav's last words kept buzzing in her ears..I am sorry khushi...I am really sorry.. 

She broke down on the chair and cried her heart out. She kept blaming herself for his condition.
Khushi: yeh sab hamari wajah se hua...sab kuch..kyun humne unhe itni taklif di...(This has happened because of me...everything...why did I hurt him so much) 

She was not in a position to inform anyone back home. It was well past midnight, when the nurse came and said: suniye patient ko hosh aa gaya hai..aap unse mil saktey hai..(Patient has come back to senses...you can meet him) 

Khushi didn't wait for her to finish and rushed inside. 

Arnav was half seated on the bed with a bandage on his head, when he saw khushi rushed in. She was angry, shattered. He looked at her with a faint smile. She dashed towards him and held his collar and said: kya samajhtey hai aapne aap ko? (What do you think of yourself) 

She was crying bitterly and there was anger in her eyes. 

Khushi: aapko bohot maaza aata hai na humey harane mein...haan aap jeet gaye firse...aur hum haar gaye...aur is baar bohot buri tarah se harey hai hum...aapse bhi aur aapne aap se bhi...(You have great fun seeing me lose..yes you have won and I have lost and this time I have lost badly...lost to you as well as myself) 

She hung her head down and sobbed:..kyunki aapke hone yaa na hone se humey fark padta hai..itna fark ki hamara jeena mushkil ho jaata hai..haar gaye hum..haar gaye...aap jeet gaye(because your presence affects me..so much that I won't be able to live...I have lost..lost..you won) 

Arnav smiled. A smile he had smiled after ages. He slowly lifted her chin and wiped her tears and said: hum jeet gaye...(We have won) 

She threw herself in his arms and he hugged her tightly, tightly as ever. 

Khushi sobbed: humey maaf kar dijiye arnavji..hamari wajah se aap...(Forgive me...because of me you...) 

Arnav quickly said: sshhh...shh...khushi ..don't.. 

Khushi remained in the hug for ages. Then she slowly broke the hug, but kept looking down. Arnav couldn't stop his smiles, despite the pain. He tucked her hair behind her ear and lifted her face and said in a soft voice: darr gayi thi tum?

Kya laga tumhe ki main tumhe chhorke...(Were you scared? You thought I'll leave..) 

Khushi quickly put her palm on his mouth and said: aj kahey diya hai par fir kabhi mat kehena...(You have said it today but don't say again) 

She again rested her head on his chest and said: hum aapko kuch nehi hone denge..(I won't let anything happen to you) 

He put one arm around her shoulder: I know khushi... 

He lifted her face up again and kissed her on the forehead for a really long time. The kiss marked the new beginning between them. It was arnav's way of apologising to her for everything. Khushi kept her eyes closed lost in it. All her dilemma, all her confusion was out of the way and after a long time she could hear her heartbeat clearly and for the first time understood what it meant.