29

The sun was gone and the moon and stars came into view as Clarke and Lexa talked into the night. "I want to take you somewhere." Lexa said and Clarke looked at the time on her phone. "Lexa, it's already past midnight. We've been talking for 6 hours now. You said you have a photoshoot in the morning so I don't want to keep you away from your sleep. You'll have bags under your eyes if you don't get enough sleep." 
"They put tons of makeup on my face so no one will notice." 
"Still it's late." 
"That depends on how you look at it. I think it's early in the morning." 
"Oh God Lexa, it's only a few minutes after midnight and you're talking like the world is going to wake up in an hour." Clarke said what made Lexa smile. "It's true though.  People are so fixated on the time while that's only something we made as humans. It's early in our lives now. We need to live now we can and not wait until you're old. Some people don't get to that stage of life. Tell me Clarke, are you tired?" 
"No, I'm not." 
"Then I want to take you somewhere." Lexa sat and she got up from the couch. She extended her hand to Clarke and Clarke took it to get up. 

Lexa had parked the car on the side of the road and got out

Lexa had parked the car on the side of the road and got out. Clarke followed her example although she didn't get why Lexa brought her here. There were no buildings. The only thing that Clarke saw were trees. They could feel the cold night breeze against their skin. "Why did you bring me here?" Clarke asked while she looked around again to see if she had missed anything she should have seen. Lexa didn't answer immediately and just walked across the road to a tree. "This is the place where my parents crashed." Lexa says without looking at Clarke. She just looks at the tree. Imagining how it all went. Reckless driving, her mom yelling next to him, trying to take over the wheel. The car swinging from the left side to the right side again and again like they were in some game where you tried to avoid everything on the road. Swinging until it slipped and the tires started squeak, leaving traces on the road that flashed away with the rain and other vehicles riding over it without knowing about the horror that happened that night. And the squeaking ends with a bang that immediately ended the life of two people too. Lexa wasn't there when it happened but she could imagine it. Every time she did, it was the same way. Clarke didn't know what to say at first. She got goosebumps thinking of how horrible it must be for Lexa and Lincoln. Clarke walked closer to Lexa, joining her by her side and slipping her hand into Lexa's. She held it tightly to tell Lexa she was standing here with her together and she wasn't alone without using words. Lexa looked at Clarke, holding her hand tightly. She was scared that if she let go now, she would lose herself. Clarke noticed it and squeezed the hand shortly while giving her a comforting smile. “Thanks for sharing this with me.” Clarke said and Lexa nodded because a lump in her throat held her back of talking. They just stood there for a moment, watching the tree. It must’ve been planted after the accident because it was smaller than the other trees. "Where are we anyways? I’ve never seen this road before.” Clarke asked while she looked around again. “Big Tujunga Canyon Road.” Lexa said and Clarke’s heart dropped at hearing that name. Lexa felt Clarke’s hand loosen in her’s and looked at Clarke again. “What’s wrong?” Lexa asked when she saw the blonde frozen in front of her. “What did you say?” Clarke asked in a breath. 
“Big Tujunga Canyon Road.” Lexa repeated and Clarke pulled her hand out of Lexa’s while she started to walk with her hands in her hair. "No no this is not happening." She kept on repeating and it scared Lexa. "Clarke, where are you going?" She asked and Clarke turned to Lexa again. "What was the date of the accident?" Clarke asked with a crack in her voice. "Why? What's going on? You're scaring me, Clarke." 
"Please just answer me!" Clarke begged while tears filled her eyes. "It happened on the first day of July, 5 years ago.” Lexa answered and Clarke started to feel sick. She felt the urge to puke and did. Lexa tried to come closer but Clarke didn’t let her. “Clarke, what’s going on?” Lexa begged, desperate to get some answers. “My dad got hit by a car, 5 years ago on the first day of July.” Clarke sobbed and Lexa stopped breathing for a second. “That’s… That’s not possible. There was no one else. I went here the day after the accident. There were no white lines that showed that someone died on the road.” 
“Because he didn’t die here, Lexa! He died in the hospital of his injuries.” 
“Then why didn’t you recognize this place if it’s here? This street is long maybe it was a coincidence and it’s a bit farther.”
“There are no coincidences like that Lexa! I didn’t recognize it here because I avoided this place. I never went to see where it happened. All I knew is the name of the street.” 
“The police didn’t mention another victim. Please Clarke, you have to believe me.” Lexa begged and Clarke shook her head. “I want to go home, Lexa.” Clarke said and Lexa nodded. They walked back to the car and the whole road neither of them said anything. Lexa was too busy with seeing new images in her head of the accident. Never before had it changed, but now there was a new character in it. It didn’t take long for them to get back to Clarke’s house and neither of them moved for a while. Clarke kept on looking out of the window, not being able to face Lexa. She felt Lexa’s eyes on her but ignored them. Even when Lexa called her name, the blonde didn’t move. “I need time to think.” Clarke said, her voice was dead and it hurted Lexa to hear it. She reached for Clarke’s leg but the moment her fingertips got in contact with it, Clarke got out of the car and shut the door behind her. She walked back inside, not looking back at Lexa a single time. Tears started to stream down Lexa’s face and she rested her head on the steering wheel. It didn’t take long for it to escalate into sobs. Lexa clenched her fist and started to hit the steering wheel. Trying to feel something different than the pain in her heart. Her knuckles started to bleed but she kept on hitting to relieve herself of the anger she felt for the world, her dad and herself.