77

Clarke’s vision was blocked. She could only hear the gunshot and see Lexa jumping in front of her. She froze because she knew that gun was pointed at her at first and she did hear the sound of it. But it never reached her. Clarke’s heart stopped beating and her eyes widened at the realisation where the bullet went. Lexa lost balance and set a few steps backwards while looking down at her stomach. She automatically touched the wound, like she wanted to make sure it was there but she could see even without touching it that it was real. Blood had already stained around the hole of the bullet on her shirt.  Her legs felt weak and she didn’t know it was because the bullet hit her spine or the pain she felt or the thought that just made it impossible for her to stand straight. Her legs gave in and in no time she fell on the ground with a thud. The hit didn’t even hurt her. She could only focus on the pain she felt in her stomach. “Lexa!” She heard Clarke’s voice faintly but it was enough for her to look into the blue eyes from the ground. Those blue eyes she loved. For a moment the pain stopped and everything became quiet while those blue eyes drawn her in. But the quietness didn’t stay long because bit by bit she could hear Clarke’s voice more clear. “Put pressure on the wound! Lexa! What are you doing?! Put pressure on the wound!” Clarke shouted with tears running down her cheeks. She tried to break free out of the ropes but she couldn’t. Lexa did what Clarke told and pressed her hand on the wound to put pressure on it and to held back the bleeding. She cried out when it hurt even more and it took all strength in her to keep putting pressure on it. Lexa looked at the ceiling while her vision started to get blurry. Suddenly she saw Costia’s face in front of her. “You’re going to be alright.” The girl said while laying on hand on Lexa’s cheek and with the other one she pushed on Lexa’s wound too. “Why…” Lexa tried to say but the pain stopped her of talking. She concentrated on her breathing before she could talk again, “Why couldn’t you just be happy for me?” Lexa asked while tears ran down her temples. Costia couldn’t say anything. She just stared at Lexa so Lexa continued. “I loved you.” Lexa said and she groaned of the pain again while moving. “I’m sorry.” She whispered quietly and Costia came closer to Lexa. “What?” Costia asked because she hadn’t heard what she had said. Lexa waited for Costia to be close enough before she stabbed Costia in the heart with the knife she had hidden in the waistband of her pants. Lexa was looking into Costia’s eyes and saw how slowly she lost the life in her eyes. The sparkling eyes slowly changed in dull eyes and Lexa could feel Costia’s body fully leaning on hers. It was the proof she had just ended her life. Lexa pulled the knife out of Costia with a sob and threw it beside her. Clarke looked at the knife, covered in blood in front of her with widened eyes. She looked at the two bodies in front of her but couldn’t see anything. Costia was covering Lexa’s whole body and her head blocked the vision of Lexa’s face. There was no movement of any of the two and Clarke started to panic. She pulled as hard as she could on the ropes but they didn’t give in. Clarke screamed out in frustration. But the adrenaline in her body made her concentrate. She didn’t have the time for this. She needed to do something. Lexa was shot and maybe even stabbed because she didn’t know from where the knife suddenly came. Knife. Clarke’s eyes fixed on the knife and she quickly started to move on the chair so it fell over on the ground. Clarke reached for the knife with her tied up hands. The rope was sanding her wrists open and Clarke winced at the pain but she didn’t give up. She had to reach the knife and she did. It took her awhile to cut the ropes and to free herself and the longer it took, the harder it got since her hands got more and more shaky while thinking she could be too late for Lexa. When she was free she ran towards the two bodies and rolled Costia off of Lexa. Clarke’s eyes widened when she saw Costia’s lifeless body. She couldn’t stare for long because she had to focus on the brunette beneath her who was covered in blood. Clarke couldn’t make out what was Lexa’s and what was Costia’s blood but she could see how pale Lexa looked and how her lips were quivering. “I- I killed her.” Lexa brought out in a breath and she had to gasp for breath. “I killed her.” She said again and she sobbed at the realisation. Clarke took Lexa’s face in her hands so the brunette would look into her eyes. “Shhhh it’s okay. She shot you.” Clarke shushed her and Lexa didn’t respond to it. She just gasped for air while turning her eyes to the ceiling again. “You’re going to be okay. Just lie still.” Clarke said while she ripped Lexa’s shirt open to see the wound. Blood was running out of it and Clarke pressed both her hands on it. Lexa groaned out in pain and Clarke sobbed. “Don’t be afraid.” Lexa said and Clarke had to scoff. Was she really conforming her while she is the one being shot? “You’re going to be fine. Just stay still.” Clarke said while she thought of a way to get help. “Lexa, do you know where we are? You’re losing too much blood we need to get you to the hospital.” Clarke said and Lexa shut her eyes while trying to hold her tears. “We’re in the middle of the forest. Rose Street 37.” Lexa said softly because she knew what it meant. The chance someone would see them in time to help was little. “Fuck!” Clarke shouted. “I’m sorry Clarke. I’m sorry I brought you into this.” 
“Hey, stay with me. I will fix you just stay with me. Don’t you dare give up on me.” Clarke said and Lexa didn’t even had to think of her answer. “I’m not.” She immediately said. “Good because I’m not letting you die.” Clarke said determined but Lexa shook her head. “There is nothing you can do now. We are in the middle of a forest. I’m not going to make it.” Lexa said and Clarke shook her head but Lexa shushed her. “Let me speak. I love you, Clarke. I love you. I love every goddamn thing about you. And I don’t regret one second taking that bullet for you. You deserve to live. Please live. When I die, I don’t want you to stop your life. Live your life. Find the next one in love.” Lexa said and that last one was unimaginable for Clarke. “No! I don’t want anyone else. I want you.” Clarke sobbed and Lexa did too. “Come here.” Lexa said and Clarke leaned in to kiss her. Their shuddering lips molding into one. “I need to get you out of here.” Clarke said and she laid Lexa’s hand on the wound. “Put pressure on it. This is going to hurt.” Clarke said while she forced her arms underneath Lexa’s body. Clarke tilted her up and Lexa cried out in pain until she couldn’t handle it anymore and lost conscious.