81

Clarke was playing with her nails while she waited for something. She didn’t know what. Inspector Pike had just dragged her into an investigation room with a big mirror on the wall. Clarke had seen this in movies plenty of times. You see your own reflection but in reality you’re looking straight into someone’s eyes. Someone behind the mirror who listens and watches everything that happens inside. You can’t see them but they can see you. Clarke avoided looking at the mirror as much as she could knowingly someone was watching her there. That thought made her uncomfortable and nervous. She sat down in the middle of the room around a table, handcuffs still around her wrists. She bounced her leg up and down while she waited. And just when the mirror tempted her again to look, the door opened and Pike walked in the room. He sat down in front of Clarke on the other side of the table. “Do you want to say or confess anything?” He asked with folded hands on the table. “I think Raven said it well.” Clarke said with dead voice, tired of this man who tries to control everything. “Is she the one with the limp?” He asked while he act out like someone with a limp and Clarke narrowed her eyes at the man, cursing him inside for disrespecting her friend like that. “You mean the one that got hit by a car because of your daughter?” Clarke asked while she leaned her arms on the table now, getting a bit closer to Pike to show him she’s not scared at all. “The man we arrested for that is John Murphy. Due some faults in his police report we couldn’t keep him here and had to let him free. If you want blame anyone, blame the one who caused it.” 
“I am blaming the one who caused it. Your daughter. Is this even legal? Can you work on the case of your own daughter?” 
“Some people don’t let their emotions influence their actions.” He said and Clarke sneered. “What a joke.” 
“Let’s not change the subject here. You’re here because your fingerprints were on the weapon that killed the victim. What do you have to say about that?” 
“What do I have to say on that? That your daughter wasn’t the victim. She abducted me because she was jealous of Lexa and mine’s relationship. She couldn’t let her go. She was about to shoot me until Lexa took a bullet for me.” Clarke said and she couldn’t continue for some seconds. A lump blocked her airways and she had to swallow for a second while tears started to well up. Lexa really did that. She was about to sacrifice her own life for her. “I’m listening.” Pike said while he waited for Clarke to continue again but Clarke was blocked. She didn’t want to involve Lexa in this. She couldn’t say the brunette stabbed Costia. The chance Lexa ends up in jail is there if she said that and she didn’t want that. Clarke pressed her lips in a thin line, not saying anything anymore. And she was lucky because right at that time, the door opens again. Clarke mouth falls open when she sees Kane in the doorway. “Kane? What are you doing here?” Clarke asks. “Sir you can’t come here.” Pike said but Kane just closed the door behind him. “I’m Marcus Kane. I’m Clarke Griffin’s lawyer.” He said and Clarke looked confused at her mom’s boyfriend. “Me and my client have a lot of things to discuss so could you maybe assign a private room for us before we continue this investigation?” Kane said and Clarke looked how Pike clenched his fists and jaw before getting off of his chair with a sigh. “Follow me.” He said and Clarke got up from her chair to follow Pike together with Kane. He gave them a room and right before he was going to leave, Kane held him back. “I don’t think those handcuffs are necessary here.” He said and Pike released of them while staring deeply in her eyes. The moment he left them alone, Clarke flew in Kane’s arms. “It’s okay Clarke. We’re going to get you out of here.” He said and Clarke had so many questions in her head at one time, she couldn’t bring out one. “Bellamy called your mom to inform her what had happened. And since I’m a lawyer, I’m going to get you out.” 
“I didn’t even know you were a lawyer.” 
“It’s okay. We didn’t got to that part of knowing each other that well yet. We have no time to waste now. But you have to tell me precisely what happened.” Kane said and Clarke give him the story from beginning to end. “Then it’s clear for me. We just need to tell honestly what happened. We have enough witnesses to plead you innocent.” 
“You don’t know that man. He messed up Murphy’s police report so he wouldn’t be in jail. He could have perfectly messed up the evidence that it looks like Costia is the real victim. What means that it’s me or Lexa who are the suspects. If I witness, there is a possibility Lexa gets in jail. She’s the one who stabbed Costia.” 
“We can’t think of that. We need to be honest about what happened. We can’t lie to the police.” 
“Does it look to you he’s honest?” Clarke asked and Kane stayed quiet. “This case involves a dead what means it comes in court. You have until then to know what you’re going to say. You need to stay in prison until court. They probably put you together with another inmate. As long as you’re not going to tell the full truth, there is not directly something I can do. Only gather up the witnesses until court who will plead against Costia. We might win like that. But for now I can’t get you out of here. It’s important to stay quiet so you won’t tell things now and change them later.” Kane said and Clarke nodded. “Any more questions left?” He asked. “Can I call Lexa?” Clarke asked and Kane looked at the ground while shaking his head. “What do you mean? Why do they always say you have the right on a phone call if I can’t?” 
“You can but you won’t get any reply. After Lexa saw you dragged away by the police, she protested. She was capable to do anything to stop you from going to jail.  She moved too much and her wounds got open again. Not only the outside cut but also the inside cut of some organs that got hit by the bullet. They had to operate again.” Kane said and Clarke took a shaky breath. “How is she?” 
“She’s not awake yet. They think she might react the same once she wakes up so they gave her  a lot of anesthesia.” Kane said and Clarke looked at the ground with tears in her eyes. She wanted to hear her girlfriend’s voice so badly. “Try tomorrow morning okay?” He said and Clarke nodded. Kane hugged her shortly before knocking on the door to let them out again. “My client will give her declaration in court.” Kane said to Pike and the man handcuffed Clarke again. “If Lexa wakes up please tell her I’m okay and that I love her.” Clarke said before Pike dragged her away to her cel.