CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Obstacle

Class 1-A, along with the other first year classes walked out to the Freshmen Stage and formed lines. At the front, the chief referee Midnight asked for the first year representative to come to the front. Katsuki went up the platform and faced his fellow first years.

To be perfectly honest? All of his classmates were expecting some bullshit speech about how he is the greatest of them, how he is number one, or how he will win, but instead they got a proper speech about heroism, how all of them should do their best. It felt out of character for the explosive boy.

Izuku had kept his glare. He looked at the back of the heterochromatic boy's head.

"YOU DARE DECLARE THAT YOU'LL HALF-ASS ALL OF THIS BECAUSE YOU FEEL LIKE IT?!"

"Tch. Isn't that what you've been doing?" Izuku whispered.

"BEGIN!" Midnight's words signified the start of the first event. Izuku activated Air Cannon in his legs, jumping over the other students in front of him and immediately gaining the lead. He ran towards the tunnel. As he ran inside, he activated a Quirk: Bird's Eye View.

Robots, a canyon, and mine fields. Got it. He deactivated the Quirk as he got out and immediately looked up. Activate: Impact Recoil and Unbreakable. Let's see what you zero pointers can do!

A zero pointer locked on Izuku as its target, it brought its fist down on the boy. Izuku shielded his head with his arm, as soon as the robot's fist touched him, the force of its attack immediately backfired. Pushing its fist back to itself and its flat face, sending it tumbling down.

From behind Izuku, he could hear crackling. He jumped up and faced back as he sent an Air Cannon punch towards the ice that was still catching up to him on the air. The ice shattered into pieces. Izuku saw other students who were caught in the ice in the back. Then in the corner of his eye, he saw a familiar bicolored boy run past him.

Shit! Izuku landed and continued to run.

Eventually, they were running near "The Fall". Izuku activated three of his five main Quirks, Muscle Augmentation, Air Cannon, and Unbreakable. As long as he doesn't use any other strengthening Quirk while those five are active, he'll be fine. Izuku will beat Shoto without using Power Limb at max!

Using Air Cannon, Izuku jumped to the canyon while Shoto proceeded to use his ice to propel him while balancing on the ropes. Izuku clapped, using the shock waves to propel himself forwards.

They were near the end of the second stage. Their rivalry was reaching its peak when something they didn't expect happened.

As they got to the other side of the canyon, something--or someone passed between them. Leaving a loud explosion as they did. Izuku landed on the ground, doing a roll as he did. He looked straight to see the back of Katsuki in the lead.

Izuku grimaced.

Izuku activated Muscle Augmentation and Fortify on his legs and ran. He felt something cold creep up one of his leg as he ran but it was immediately shattered as he continued to run.

When he was nearer the blonde boy, he shouted, "KATSUKI!"

The other boy looked back to see rage-filled eyes which made him wince and slow down. Izuku smirked and jumped up, revealing ice heading towards him.

Katsuki was caught in Shoto's ice that was intended for Izuku.

Izuku was able to gain the lead again.

Katsuki immediately destroyed the ice with his explosions but not before Icy-Hot was able to run past him.

Izuku let out a satisfied laugh then he saw the third stage, the mine fields, just a few meters away. He covered the top of his eyes then activated an infrared vision Quirk. He saw the minefields and immediately memorized the path he needs to take to avoid setting them off.

He deactivates the Quirk and removes his hands, running much faster now.

He runs along the path he memorized. Halfway through, he heard explosions from behind him. He looked back to find Shoto riding his ice and Katsuki haphazardly using his explosion to get across, setting off multiple landmines.

Realizing that he'll soon lose his lead again if he doesn't do anything fast, he stops at his tracks and activates four of his main Quirks and hulk smashed the ground. Katsuki and Shoto winced.

The shockwave of the strengthened Air Cannon had set multiple landmines off creating a chain reaction of explosions, sending Katsuki, Shoto, and Izuku flying. Except Izuku was flying towards the stadium. Fortify and Unbreakable had lessened the damage he would've received.

He did a maneuver to correct his body and landed with a roll. He continued to run towards the inside of the stadium where he got first place.

After securing first place, he collapsed on his knees and took multiple deep breaths. I won... I won. He took his time to catch his breath. But once he did, it was only then that he realized how quiet the entire stadium was. He looked up to the giant monitor and saw the result of his earlier action.

It was at that moment that the dust and bruise-covered Shouto and Katsuki arrived to receive second and third place, respectively. They both saw Izuku who was on his knees on the ground looking at the giant monitor.

The giant monitor featured the completely decimated landmine field. The students that were caught in the explosion were either able to use their Quirks to shield themselves, like Katsuki and Shoto, or bruised and couldn't react in time because of the suddenness of the whole thing.

The paramedics immediately went to work and assisted those who were visibly out of the competition, while those who were able to shield themselves, or those who were lucky enough to be nowhere near then, went through and secured their spots for the next event.

Tenko noticed that Izuku just looked at the monitor the whole time. Expected, since he did cause all that chaos but what he did find interesting is that Izuku's face was completely neutral. He didn't look shocked or scared. It's like he was just watching an ordinary TV.

Furthermore, Izuku was incredibly vicious during the whole race. It was completely out of character for his usually gentle little brother.

It was the first time Tenko saw their father in Izuku.

---