CHAPTER NINETY-EIGHT: Low

After finishing their first day of work-studies, Katsuki and Izuku headed back to UA using a Midoriya family car. Izuku remained quiet the whole ride back. He was eerily quiet. He was in an even worse state than the day before.

Katsuki had attempted to talk to his classmate, but he was quickly ignored.

After arriving at UA's gates, the two of them got off. Katsuki thanked Adohira while Izuku left without saying a word to the chauffeur.

On their way to the dorms, Katsuki tried to think of ways he could get Izuku to open up to him. Katsuki wanted to comfort his classmate, he wanted Izuku to tell him what was in his mind, if it can lighten whatever he was feeling at that moment. But at the same time, he didn't feel like it was his place to do so.

Those four. Katsuki suddenly thought, referring to Izuku's friends. Other than his brother, those four are the only other ones I know who can help him.

Relief washed over Katsuki and he smiled inside as he thought what seemed to be a perfect plan.

Then all of a sudden, Izuku stopped in his tracks in front of Katsuki, forcing him to stop walking as well, exactly as they had arrived at the front yard of their dorm. Katsuki was confused by the sudden halt.

"Katsuki?" Izuku finally spoke to him. Katsuki's eyes went wide and he got slightly excited.

"Yeah, Midoriya? What is it?" He asked with a smile.

"Don't mention anything to our classmates, alright? Especially, my friends." Izuku told him, making the smile on Katsuki's face disappear.

He frowned. Of course, he was going to outright deny that request! Like hell Katsuki won't tell Deku's friends! If he's willing to ask this, then he certainly has no plans to tell his family. If he accepts this request, then his plan to lift Izuku up will be ruined.

As he was about to say no, however, Izuku suddenly looked back at him and coldly threatened him, "Don't tell them anything, Bakugo. Or I'll make you regret it."

Katsuki couldn't speak. He couldn't find the strength to speak. The hostile tone Izuku used meant that it wasn't an empty threat.

Katsuki gulped, trying to find the voice he had lost just a moment ago in fear.

Then something suddenly happened that made Katsuki feel sorry for the person in front of him.

Izuku's face softened.

Katsuki watched as Izuku's eyes quickly began to tear and water, like at any moment, they would've been ready to burst.

"Please..." Izuku suddenly said, "Don't tell them. I don't want them to know."

Katsuki felt bad for the person pleading in front of him.

Izuku tried to act tough but he couldn't keep up the image. Not while he felt so lost and broken.

"Please, Katsuki," Izuku pleaded once more as he tears ran down from his eyes, "Please, just keep this between us."

"Please, I beg you."

Izuku's voice sounded so broken and tired. Katsuki gritted his teeth, Nighteye, what did you do?

Reluctantly, Katsuki assured him, "I won't tell them, you have my word."

Izuku was glad to hear that. He wanted to smile at his classmate, but he couldn't. Not at his current state. He couldn't even force a small smile. Still, he wanted to show his gratitude, "Thank you, Katsuki."

Izuku continued to wipe the tears off his face, and tried to stop more tears from forming. He took a deep breath before the two of them headed inside the dorms. But the two of them didn't expect what their class had in store for them.

"HAPPY FIRST DAY AT HERO WORK-STUDIES, KATSUKI AND IZUKU!" The entire Class A greeted them with two small cakes decorated with an All Might design on each, plus a chibi version of their respective hero costumes.

"We wanted to congratulate you two for being the first of our class to begin their work-studies, so we asked Rikido-kun to make cakes." Momo explained.

Then Kyoka interjected, "Well, at first, it was only supposed to be for Izuku since Ochaco and co were the first ones to request it, but then we decided to also make one for Katsuki."

"Do you like it, Bakubro?!" Eijiro excitedly asked while showcasing his cake to Katsuki. The latter smiled slightly then he answered, "Y-yeah. Thank you."

He was truly grateful for the gift, he really was. But something else was on his mind at that moment. He sneaked a peek at Izuku and found him just blankly staring at the cake meant for him. Katsuki frowned at his self for making that promise.

"We really wanted to cheer you up after yesterday, so we asked Rikido to help us make this." Ochaco stated with a smile on her face.

"We're here for you, Izuku. So I hope from now on, you'd tell us what's troubling you. We'll listen." Ochaco told him as she held his hand, but Izuku suddenly flicked her hand away, catching Ochaco off guard.

"Thank you, Ochaco, but I just want to be alone for now." Izuku shot her down. The smile on Ochaco's face vanished as her eyes met Izuku's tired and empty own.

Everyone was taken back and confused by the greenet's response to Ochaco, while Katsuki could only look away.

"I'm sorry to ruin the mood, everyone." He told his classmates as he walked pass through them.

Izuku's friends, especially Ochaco, were too stunned to react appropriately.

"I'm really sorry, but I don't feel like celebrating anything." Izuku apologized once more. Ochaco snapped back to reality for a moment and tried to grab Izuku's hand to stop him, but Izuku simply moved his hand out of the way.

"Izuku!" Ochaco called her friend's name, but Izuku didn't look back. Instead, he headed straight to his room at the second floor.

His ears were ringing the whole walk to his room. It was like the whole world was shut out, and it was only him. Of course, only him and them.

The moment he pulled his door open, the ringing in his ears stopped, and he heard the snickers, the laughter, their celebration. He could only try and ignore them as he continued into his room.

He quickly set his bags down on the floor, then he headed straight for his bed, not even bothering to change out of his uniform. He just wanted to sleep. Sleep and hope that all of it goes away once he wakes up.

Izuku could hear the ghosts still laughing at him and celebrating their win, but he just tried his best to tune them out.

He buried himself under his blanket and tightly closed his eyes, until his tears finally burst.

You ghosts won.

---

NOTES: I was so tempted to title this chapter 'Depression', but I thought that would be too comedic so I went with 'Low' instead. XD

On another note, this was originally planned to be a wholesome Dad for One au, why do I keep on putting these depressing scenes in this thing?!

Fuck you, Hisashi!

edit: by the way, the Izuku pic included was only a quick sketch so excuse the terrible lineart.