CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE: Reason II

As both classes were all enjoying the curry they cooked, Izuku couldn't help but notice Mandalay looking around, seemingly looking for someone.

"Mandalay, is something wrong?" Izuku approached the Pro Hero.

"I haven't seen Kota in the past hour. He hasn't eaten yet." Mandalay told the teenager.

"Oh, if it's Kota, I think I saw him walk into the forest while I was training. I might know where he is." Izuku told her. "I'm already done eating anyway, I could bring his dinner to him."

"Really? Thank you, Izuku." Mandalay said as she handed him a plate with food. Izuku gave a smile.

While what he told her wasn't a total lie, since Izuku did saw Kota earlier and he does know where he is, thanks to his Bird's Eye View Quirk, the real reason he took on this task was so he could talk with the kid in private.

Using Bird's Eye View at night is a bit tricky, though, since he's not able to see well during the night due to the dark, one of its drawbacks. Also, while this Quirk is active, he can only see from above, which only makes it useful for locating, not much for while locked in combat.

The center and clearest in this view is his location and the further away from the center, the more blurry it gets. The furthest away where you can still ascertain what's there is approximately 700 meters.

It took a while but Izuku finally got to the cliff where Kota hung around.

"Hey." The greenette greeted, slightly surprising the child. "Mandalay told me to bring you food."

"How did you even know I was here?" The boy snapped.

"I used my tracking Quirk." Izuku said in a joking tone. "Can I sit with you?"

"No. Get lost! I don't need food from a stupid guy who likes to play hero!" Kota retorted.

Izuku looked at the boy with worry.

"Why does everyone like playing heroes? They'll just end up getting hurt and then dying. Or if they don't die, they just end up being sad the rest of their lives because they can't play hero anymore. What's the point?" Kota stated his thoughts.

But it only made Izuku giggle.

"What's so funny?" Kota asked in annoyance.

"Nothing. You just reminded me of two people I know very much." Izuku answered.

Izuku then sat on the edge of cliff but still kept some distance from the child. He then looked up at the sky, "The night sky looks beautiful tonight."

That statement made Kota look up as well.

"Kota, do you know that I'm supposed to be as powerful as All Might?"

The question caught the child's attention but he did not reply and simply glared at the teenager.

Izuku looked down at his fist, with pride in his eyes, "My dad even told me that with my Quirk, I could probably beat the number one hero someday."

Then the greenette's eyes went sad in just a matter of seconds.

"But every time I hear that, my thoughts always go back to my brother. He's Quirkless, you see." Izuku frowned.

"Even though I have this kind of power, every time I think about how hard he must've had it, I can't help but be disappointed in myself because I can't share this powerful Quirk with him.."

Izuku then looked over at Kota, "My dad and brother... they're the two people you reminded me of. They both hate heroes like you, because my brother was born Quirkless in a world full of Quirks. And heroes constantly remind them of that."

"If I could be a light for people who's going through what my brother did, then I'll be a hero for them, just like All Might is. That's why I want to be a hero." Izuku explained then gave Kota a warm smile.

Kota continued to glare at the greenette.

"So?"

Izuku was taken back by the child's reply.

"Was I supposed to learn something from that story of yours?" Kota stated plainly.

"I— ye— I-I'm... sorry." Izuku would only muster up those two words before he stood up in embarrassment.

"I better go— I still have some training to do tomorrow." Izuku said, and walked away a bit flustered because of the unexpected response he received.

Kota simply glared at him as he left.

"Stupid."

---