Happy birthday friend?

A/n: only going to be posting three chapters today since it slipped my mind of it being Gauges birthday.
So happy birthday Gauge! 💙

Previously on Atticus
"Neal we need to talk about this case." Peter said as he locked eyes with Neal as he motioned 'dude really?' For the rest of the day I slept in peters office as a favor from Neal because he knew I was drained.

— — —
"Hi honey." Neal said as I woke up seeing the station still being its usual busy self. "Hi." I said as I wiped my mouth of drool. "Your so adorable. Hey listen why don't you go home I'm gonna be here late with peter so don't worry." He said as he caresses my cheek. "Uh actually I have to go to my friends birthday party, so don't wait up for me." I aid as I grabbed the keys from his coat pocket. "Are you sure you don't wanna meet him?" I asked as I wanted Neal to meet Gauge.

"If I do this will you promise to help me out tomorrow with finishing up the case?" He said as he put on his coat. "Sure, why not." I said as I leaned up and kissed his cheek. "Come on, were gonna be late." I said as I pulled his hand and walked out of the station.

——-
"Thalia!" I said as Neal was right behind me. "Ohmygod Zoe!" She said as she hugged me. "Holy shit look at you! you look so different, hardly recognized you broad." She said as she gave me a drink. "Hey thanks for coming, I know things between you and Gauge didn't end so well but I appreciate you being here." She said as she asked how the handsome guy I was with was. "Oh Thalia meet Neal my boyfriend. Neal this is Thalia, my one of many best friends." I said as they said their hellos and Thalia questioning him about hat he does and what not.

"I'll be back, I'm gonna go say hey to the birthday boy." I said leaving Neal and Thalia to talk. "Zoe!" Will said as he saw me. "Will! Ohmygod! Hi!" I said as I got pulled into the biggest bear hug ever. "So how've you been?" He asks wanting to catch up with me since I rarely post on Instagram. "Oh nothing much, you know the usual busy as always, I haven't had a modeling gig in awhile but it's great." I said taking a sip of the alcoholic drink in my hand. "So who's that by Thalia?" He questioned as he looked to "rich" to be here. "Oh that's my uh boyfriend Neal. Thalia's interrogating him." I said as I waved bye to him and tried to get to Gauge before I was noticed but failed miserably. "Kira, hi." I said as he hugged me. "It's been so long Zoe!" He said trying to catch up. "Yup came here with my boyfriend and things are going well publishing a book soon too." I said taking another sip of the beverage. "Wow that's cool Zoe! You've always had a way with words." He said smiling and saying it was good catching up.

Finally able to see Gauge but he was kissing the other Zoey. "Oh..." I mumbled as I didn't know what to say. "Happy birthday Gauge." I said giving him a hug. "Zoe!" He said smiling and a deep crimson taking over on his cheeks. "Your so beautiful holy shit!" He said as he picked me up and gave me another huge bear hug. "Zoe meet Zoey." He said chuckling as he was so nervous. "Hi." I said as I was uncomfortable and felt the heavy tension in the room, so thick you'd cut it with a knife. "Hi." She stated as she walked away.

"So Zoe, how're you? It's been forever." He said as he kissed my cheek. It felt so different than what I was used to with Neal. "Oh things are great." I said as my conscious said that's a lie, you quit your modeling job to date someone who's perfect in every way but yet you still love him.

"That's great!" He replied as he saw Neal holding your hand. "Hi honey." He said his deep blue eyes full of love. "Hi Neal. Oh honey this is Gauge, Gauge Neal as you call him "Mr. Wonderful." I said as it was really awkward now. Both guys in the same room just odd. "Do Gauge what do you do?" Neal asked trying to be friendly. "I'm a model and Im a huge influence on the app tiktok." He said looking at me. "Interesting. I'm a F.B.I. Consultant." He said like he was trying to sound better. "Ahem, well nice seeing you around Gauge." I said hugging him and giving him a small velvet box. "Open it whenever you have the chance preferably when your alone." I said as we walked away to start dancing.

"So what did she give you?" Zoey said as she eyed me on the dance floor. "Uh nothing." Gauge said as he kissed Zoeys cheek and went into his room.
Gauges pov:
"What did you put in here." I said as I opened the box. There was a small card on top saying "happy birthday." I opened only to find a long confession from Zoe. "I know we left angry at each other but I wanted to say I'm sorry and that I hope you can forgive me, especially now since we're both in a relationship with other people. I will always love you gauge, but I knew we'd never work out because we both had different goals and I'm so sorry." It read. "I'm sorry too Zoe." I mumbled as I felt tears prick my eyes.

Moving aside the card there was pictures of us, of us whenever we were just friends and when we were in a relationship. One was a Polaroid; I remember that day like it was yesterday.

August 21,2019
"Gauge. Gauge wake up." She nudge me as she sat atop me. "Smile!" She said as she clicked the camera. She shakes the Polaroid in her small hands and leaves it on the bed for me to see later.

"I can't believed he kept this, on the back was a sticky note saying "remember how mad you were because I woke you up?" I laughed a little remembering that memory indeed. Looking through even more photos I saw even more sticky notes on the back reading the memories we shared and laughing. "Last one.." I mumbled as it was the last picture we'd taken as lovers. "Valentines day, we had the roof party and I remembered that day I thought you were the love of my life, I wish you still were but I've changed and you have as well but not my much. I'm so sorry for everything I did Gauge."

It read but the sticky note was still a little wet, did she cry? I wondered as I put all of the pictures and Polaroids in the box and put it under my bed. Wiping my eyes of any dry tears I walked out and saw Zoe dancing as Neal just stood there watching her dance with my step sister.

"Haha!" Her laugh ranged throughout the small dance floor and Thalia's laugh coming after hers. "Zoe!" She said as she missed a dance move. "Thalia!" She said back as they both laughed and have the controllers to the other players. "Uh thanks for the party it was great." She said hugging Thalia then Will then Kira and then lastly me. "Thanks for a great time."

She spoke as her eyes were light with tears. "Zoe we should talk." I said pulling her towards the kitchen. "I opened the box..." I said defeated. "Gauge you have to understand I was hurt when I wrote those." She explained as she let some tears go. "I know and I'm so so sorry." I said as I kissed her on the lips one last time before I really lost her. "I-I have to to go." She said wiping her tears and left without saying goodbye to Zoey.

"What a bitch." Zoey said as she rested her head on my chest kissing my neck as her way of saying "mine".