Beginning

A girl stood in front of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, the place where she was going to do her internship, it was nostalgic, returning to New York after a few years. Going to Cambridge was a bitter-sweet decision, while she had learned so much over the past few years, she had lost one of her closest friends. Mark didn't contact her after she left, he didn't even say bye to her, her calls and messages were ignored, their only connecting link was Derek with who she had maintained a good relationship with her. Even Addison, Sam and Naomi had been in touch.

"Welcome to New York-Presbyterian Hospital. You are at the bottom of the surgical chain, you are nobody. Nobody!!" The Cheif of Surgery introduced them to the OR. It felt unreal, they had spent years crawling to the top and now they were there.

"These are your locker rooms, change into scrubs, your residents will show you everything,"

She looked around to see the locker room, all the interns were changing into their baby blue scrubs. They were yet to know who their fellow Surgical interns would be and who their resident will be.

"Hey, do you know who your resident is?" One of the interns asked her.

"Hey, I am talking to you," He repeated again.

"God, talk about attitude. Aren't you the one who did you PhD from Cambridge, right?"

"Oh shut up and mind your own business," She snapped at him.

"Renee Foster, still the same," Renee turned to see three people staring at her, two of them wore bright smiles while the third one carried a shocked expression.

"Foster, Shepherd, Mongetmory, Thomas, you are with Dr Webber, right down the hall," Finn Thomas turned out to be the guy who was bothering her.

"When did you get here? Why didn't you call?" Derek asked her multiple questions while Mark remained silent.

"I got here a week ago,"

"Ah, the new interns, let's see who will be the first one to get tortured." Dr Webber said as he rubbed his hands.

"So, which one of you is Foster?" Renee raised her hand.

"You are at the pit," 

"Uh-where is the pit?" 

"Follow the signs, they are all around the hospital,"

"Yes, Dr Webber,"

The pit was filled with emergencies, there were people who needed stitches, had broken bones and stomach pain.

"You!! New intern, sutures on bed 12,"

"Sutures? Why should I do the sutures?"

"Are you above it?" 

"Yes!.......No!! Right, I'll do the sutures," 

"Uh- I hate this, I did my PhD from Cambridge and here I am doing sutures," Renee said as she sat with Derek and Addison during their lunch.

"I had to rectal, uh, I can't even eat," Derek said as he pushed his tray away.

"I got to assist on surgery,"

"Bitch," Renee whispered under her breath.

"Don't gloat around, everyone will get their turn," Derek looked up to see Mark sitting opposite him, he gazed over Renee who looked back at him.

"Mark, you want to say hello to someone?" Addison said.

"No, I don't see anyone who I feel the need to say hi,"

"You impeccably petty, foolish and arrogant, Sloan," 

"I am petty!! I am not petty!! You left to go to England,"

"You didn't even come to the airport, Mark. You didn't respond to my messages, you didn't pick my calls,"

"I was angry,"

"Why are you upset, Derek isn't upset, is he?"

"Because......uh.....you know what forget it," Mark left.

"I hate him," 

"You don't hate, you could never hate him, you like him too much,"

"He doesn't know that, does he?"

"Of course he doesn't, he's Mark,"

Their 48-hour shift had just ended and by the end of it, nobody had it in themselves to even go home but they had to do it, they needed to go home because they had to return back after getting some sleep.

She was waiting for the elevator when someone cleared their throat.

"I am upset or I was upset that you left because I-uh-I liked you,"

"Liked?"

"Well, I still do but-uh,"

"Stop talking,"

"Okay," Renee smiled at him.

"Okay?" Mark asked.

"You like me, okay," 

"You are not saying it back, huh, I knew confessing was a mistake, I am going to kill Der-" He fell silent when he felt her kissing him on the cheek.

"Stop whoring around now,"