Wrong Call

"I hate this, I lost almost half of my scrub team," 

Renee stood with Derek at the lobby, people were saying their goodbyes and the thought that she couldn't help anyone for keeping their jobs, it almost made her cry, she walked past Mark towards Irene who had been her scrub nurse ever since she joined the hospital. The nurse had been crying, she was a single mother with a sick kid, Renee just couldn't understand how the mother was smiling even after losing her job.

"Just call me, whenever you need my help, job recommendation, anything," Irene gave a light sob as Renee hugged her tightly. It was difficult seeing so many people lose jobs after what they have done for the hospital and for the patients.

"I don't understand what I did wrong,"

"You didn't do anything wrong, it's about the money," Irene nodded as she picked up her stuff and walked away. Renee wiped her cheeks before looking over at Derek who was standing with Owen along with Christina and Meredith, both of whom were refusing to go home.

Renee turned around to see Lexie who was crying in Ben's arms while Avan was sitting alone in one corner, his eyes were rimmed red and she couldn't help but feel dread as she walked towards him and took a seat beside him. 

"How are you?"

"I didn't get cut but I can't help feel bad for all these people, most of them were the single earners of their families," Avan said with a sniff, he put his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking slightly as he seemed to control himself from crying.

"Go home, get some sleep, you've not left the hospital since the merger was announced," Renee said as she patted his back.

"I don't need sleep, it's overrated anyway,"

"Don't be stupid, you not sleeping will lead to losing concentration in the OR....that can't happen in my OR. So, go home, get some sleep, we'll meet tomorrow,"

"I know it hasn't exactly been easy around here....the past few weeks. And I know you want answers. But I'm afraid I don't have them, Not just yet ..."

Richard's speech was probably one of the most pathetic things she had ever heard in her life, Renee rolled her eyes at him as he continued, she looked over at Mark who was eyeing down a danish as if that was the only thing on his mind, it probably was. 

"He brought us down here to make himself feel good," Derek said to both of them.

"Well, at least he sprung for good danish," Mark said picking up the danish.