Flattery

Renee was on her rounds with her cancer specialist residents and she had to say she was impressed with them and the way they answered the questions, unlike the surgical residents they didn't bounce on the opportunity instead they waited for their ...

Renee was on her rounds with her cancer specialist residents and she had to say she was impressed with them and the way they answered the questions, unlike the surgical residents they didn't bounce on the opportunity instead they waited for their attending to hand them their jobs. They had almost completed their rounds but Renee had saved the best for the last and they were about to enter the patient's room when someone yelled;

"I am sorry, I am late," all of them turned around to see a man jogging towards them, he was dressed in the maroon scrubs, which were for the cancer specialist fellows. The man stopped in front of them and panted as he tried to control his breath rate.

"Dr Avan Duval," the man smiled as he extended his hand in hope that Renee would shake his hand but drew it back when Renee refused to shake it.

"I know I'm late but I have a very good reason for it-"

"I am not interested in hearing your excuses.....and by the way you're not late, you're early by a day," Avan went to interrupt but was quietened by Renee's raised hand.

"Wait in the hall, I have rounds to complete,"

"Can I join?" Avan asked hopefully.

"I asked you to wait in the hall, so wait in the hall," Renee said as she motioned her residents to follow her to their last patient's room.

"Good morning Mr Johnson. We are joined today by my best residents," Renee greeted the patient who just grunted.

"Yes, involve more people into this, why don't you?" Mr Johnson scruffed.

"This is Mr Johnson, he has a painless lump in the chest area and has complained of nipple scaling and redness. What will be the diagnosis according to you?"

"We'll do a clinical breast exam and then perform Imaging tests and a biopsy," Avan said from where he was standing near the door.

"I think I told you to wait in the hall,"

"Yes, sorry-"

"But you answered correctly, we ran tests and did a biopsy on Mr Johnson from which we found that Mr Johnson has Stage II breast cancer," some of the residents looked shocked. Breast cancer in men was rare and they hadn't seen a case in many years. Avan had now joined the

"We did some additional tests to find out what caused the breast cancer and we found out that Mr Johnson has something called Klinefelter's syndrome. This genetic syndrome occurs when boys are born with more than one copy of the X chromosome. Klinefelter's syndrome causes abnormal development of the testicles. As a result, men with this syndrome produce lower levels of certain androgens and more estrogens. However, not all men born with Klinefelter's syndrome can develop breast cancer, some go their entire life without even knowing they have this syndrome,"

After leaving Mr Johnson's room, all the residents were sent to run some tests and take patients to Chemo or radiation and for consultations, Renee was standing in front of Avan who found his shoes to be quite interesting.