Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty

"Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, The cow jumped over the moon,

The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the dish ran away with the spoon."

"Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur! Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr!"

The soft snores and the humming were the only things which were heard in the paediatric ward, the only people inside were Renee Foster and a baby girl who had just been through various tests and scans. Richard Webber stood in the doorway watching the two sighing as he entered and sat beside Renee who looked over at him and smiled.

"She's gonna need a surgery," Richard said as he petted the babies hair.

"I know but she's not strong enough for it," Renee whispered.

"They are going to put her in a foster home for the time being," 

"I wish I could just take her home," 

"Renee, you know it's illegal-"

"Yeah, I know, anyone who isn't one of  her doctors or nurses takes her is criminally held responsible under the law,"

"You could use the legal way," Richard said softly.

"What?"

"The Foster system for abandoned babies has a softer corner for foster parents who are doctors or medical professionals," Richard said as Renee looked at him with a smile.

"Yeah but that doesn't mean they will let me foster her,"

"You focus on getting the foster license, leave the rest to me,"

Renee walked into the church were Preston and Christina were supposed to be getting married, the church was fairly full and almost everyone had taken their seats, looking around she couldn't see a single familiar face around

Renee walked into the church were Preston and Christina were supposed to be getting married, the church was fairly full and almost everyone had taken their seats, looking around she couldn't see a single familiar face around. Sighing she took a seat in one of the only empty benches left and opened her phone, she was supposed to be getting a confirmation about her foster license when she was joined by someone. Looking to her side she saw Mark sitting a few seats down the bench, he gave her a smile which she returned before he looked in front of him towards Addison and Alex who were seated awfully close to each other. 

"Derek," Renee called over at the Neurosurgeon who was in his best man suit and looked good as ever.

"You look good," Renee complimented.

"Meredith and I broke up, again," Derek sighed as he sat beside her.

"Why?"

"She's constantly leaving me, it's like she takes me for granted, she comes back whenever she wants, I love her, Ren, she's the love of my life, I can't leave her so I asked her to do it," Renee sighed when they were joined by Reyansh who was supposed to her plus one for the wedding.

"Good evening, Dr Shepherd," He greeted Derek before pressing a kiss to Renee's cheek.

"Good evening, uh, I should get going, I am the best man," He said as he walked away.

"Is he okay?" Reyansh asked as he took a seat beside her.

"He will be, he just needs time," Renee nodded.

"How was your day?" He asked.

"I applied for the foster license," 

"You did? That's great," He said as he took her hand squeezing it.

"Just waiting for conformation," 

"I am sure you'll get it. Did I tell you, you look beautiful today, well not just today but today you..."

"Thank you, I must say you clean up pretty nicely too," She laughed as he fumbled over his words.

"What can I say it's one of my many talents,"

"Hm-hm, subtly isn't one of those talents,"

The groom had arrived along with the best man and now people were waiting for the bride, everybody looked at the door waiting for the bride to walk down the aisle but the door didn't open. Everybody looked at each other and then towards the groom who just stood there smiling, the best man looked at the groom silently asking if he could go check but the groom just shakes his head. A few more minutes pass and still, the bride isn't walking down the aisle, the groom just sighs as he smiles down at him mum and future mother mother-in-law before walking towards the entry point. A couple of minutes later the door opens revealing the maid of honor who just walked down the aisle and onto the stage before looking over at the people and just sighed.

"It's over. You can all go home. It's over. It's so over.

Renee and Reyansh were laying on his bed and it was the first time she had gone to his apartment, the apartment was small but cosy and homey very different to her in the terms of aesthetic, her home included different shades of a few different colours, his however had darker colours, lots of browns and buffs. They had just come from Preston's and Christina marriage, well not really a marriage anymore, and were too tired to anything else then just lay on the bed, both of them had shifts that day. Reyansh looked over at Renee to see her eyes closed, the soft snores filling the room as he got up and brought blankets over and laid it over her before pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Good night," 

"You smell good," Renee whispered as she grabbed his wrist.

"Thank you, move over," He said as he lightly pushed her making her move to one to one side of the bed.

"No, you smell really good, like the mud," She said her eyes still closed as she moved closer to him.

"Mud? You are giving me mud?" He laughed before wrapping his arms around her sleeping figure.

"Like....after the first rain,"

"It always rains in Seattle," 

"It didn't use to rain this much in San Diego, it hardly rained at all," 

"How was San Diego? You never talk about your past,"

"It's not important," She waved him off.

"It is important, you are important, your past shapes who you are,"

So she told him everything about his past, everything except Mark and their relationship, she told him about the foster system and her experience with the foster parents, the only thing she loved about San Diego was the beaches and how she loved them. The waves calmed her down. 

"Where did you meet Dr Shepherd?" 

"I went to Med School with Derek, Addison and Mark," She answered.

"Which school?" 

"Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons," 

"They are good friends," Reyansh stated as Renee fought the urge to laugh and scoff.

"Oh, they are the best,"