Agree To Disagree

"Derek, you said you have a plan for Izzie Stevens, what's the plan?"

Derek looked up to see Renee standing there, a hand on her hip and a serious expression on her face, he straightened up and pushed a file towards the nurses before gesturing to the nearest reading room. He put up screens of Izzie's scans and pointed to the hippocampus before looking back at Renee.

"You want to remove her Hippocampus?" Renee asked.

"Yes, one of them. It's a common procedure for seizure patients,"

"Yes, it might be a common procedure but doesn't mean it's not dangerous. She could lose her memory, she could lose her speech, Derek,"

"I have performed this surgery hundreds of times," he said.

"Not on cancer patients, what if she loses her memory, how will she perform medicine?"

Derek didn't say anything as they exited the room and walked towards Izzie's room. Izzie was now bald, she had decided to shave her head before chemo takes her hair away, and had decided to cover her head with pretty scarfs. Renee greeted Rebecca who was standing by the door before they entered inside and stood near Izzie's head and Derek proceeded to explain what the surgery will be. Rebecca opposed Derek's idea but this time Renee was in support of the oncologist, there had been patients before who had MET's shrunk with the help of IL-2 even though they take time.

"If you do the surgery, I could lose my memory?" Izzie asked.

"It's unlikely, but it's possible," Derek said.

"And if you don't do the surgery?"

"We could shrink the tumor with IL-2,"

"If the tumor doesn't kill me first,"

"Why take the chance?

"Have you even done a Wada test to see how her memory would be affected?"

"Putting her brain to sleep and asking her to remember a bunch of flashcards is not an accurate assessment of the post-surgical outcome,"

"-but it would tell us whether or not she could function afterwards, And as Dr. Stevens' primary physician..." Renee interrupted Derek.

"Fine, I'll do it. it's unnecessary..." he replied to which Renee replied.

"The surgery is unnecessary,"

"The tumor's already symptomatic. She's having hallucinations,"

"Yang, you paged?"

Renee found Christina along with Meredith in a room with a bunch of scans in front of them, she was quite surprised when Cristina had paged her, they all knew that the resident was more than capable of taking decisions. Meredith gave her a smile as Renee closed the door behind her and stood there with her hands in her pcokets and waited for Christina to talk.

"These are Alison Clark's scans, she had MET's in her brain, liver and kidneys just like Izzie, the MET's shrunk down but they came back but then they shrunk back down again,"

"What are you trying to say Yang?"

"This surgery is dangerous, there are multiple things which could go wrong,"

"It's impressive, but it took two years to get these results," Meredith said.

"Yeah, but these two scans were taken three months apart,"

"But Izzie may not have three months. That tumor could start bleeding in three days or three seconds. And since when are you not about cutting?" Meredith asked.