Begin Again

I am publishing this chapter again as I found little grammatical mistakes and I also think that many people didn't get the notification as Wattpad was being a bitch yesterday! 🤷🏻‍♀️

(This chapter is before Everything Has Changed)

"Erica and I, we did it last night....well sort off,"

Callie sat in front of Renee who was making notes from her Oncology textbook and didn't even look up once from her book after Callie had sat down. Callie watched as Renee ignored her and pushed her glasses on the bridge of the nose and continued taking notes, she had just visited Mark who wasn't of any use and Renee was her last and only hope. Callie waited for a few moments hoping that Renee would acknowledge her but the oncologist continued doing her work.

"Why are you acting like this?" Callie asked as she looked around to see Derek sitting on one of the benches. She looked at Renee and then back at Derek before she sighed and went to Derek's table. Renee looked up and took a deep breath before continuing writing, she thought that Callie went away but Callie went to Derek's table in the hope of some help or advice.

"Dr Foster, I am your resident of the day," Renee looked up to see O'Malley standing in front of her with a huge smile. It was O'Malley's first day of being a resident and he was very happy and Renee couldn't help but feel proud of him even though she didn't have any role in his achievement.

"Dr O'Malley, congratulations. Sit, here's the chart, read it and make sure your incompetent interns know the patient's history," Renee handed the chart to George who at once flipped through the pages.

"This tumour is close to the Spinal cord," George pointed at the black mass on the X-Ray.

"Yes, Spinal cancer, rare but it affects about 24,000 Americans per year,"

"Should I page Dr Shepherd for a consult?"

"Dr Shepherd was busy with his photo session, Dr Nelson will be assisting for surgery,"

"But I think we should have Dr Shepherd take a look-"

"O'Malley, who's the attending?" Renee asked sternly.

"Sorry Dr Foster, I'll see you during rounds,"

"He looked like he was about to cry,"

Renee looked up to see Derek and Callie standing together with somewhat guilty faces, she absolutely had no interest in talking to either Derek or Callie and this time she had decided to not let the emotional side of her win. She had done a lot of planning behind Ilaria's birthday but nobody(except Mark) bothered to show up and if it wasn't for Mark's call, they wouldn't have even shown up. She hadn't expected much, she had wished that they'd show up and celebrate an important day with Renee and her daughter and she had wished Ilaria would spend it with her family.

"Come on Renee," Derek said when she started to walk away.

"What?"

"We are sorry," Callie said.

"No, I didn't ask you to do anything, I had just asked for you to show up. You had one job, you just had to show up but you didn't even do that. You didn't have any decency that you'd call to at least inform that you won't be coming,"

"I didn't think it'll be that big of a deal," Derek said.

"That's the thing, everything is about Derek and Callie and their worlds. When the world falls over them they go to Renee to solve it and Renee helps them keeping everything aside. What about me? You call yourself my best friends but do either of you know what's going on in my life or have you even bothered to know? No. I am not some kind of dustbin in which you dump all your problems. I can't believe that I am saying this but right now it's Mark Sloan who's standing by me and helping me while you two couldn't even come to the birthday of your own god-daughter,"