The People That We Love

"Are you people done? Over the next four weeks, you're slated for three major surgeries. Seven out-Patient procedures. That's just for the METS we've already found and all likelihood we will find more Which means we may have to cut into you more You may get used to the idea now. I'll be administering all your radiation Chemotherapy and immunotherapy. The treatment will be aggressive. It would be harsh. You should prepare yourself. I will be overseeing all your procedures, including today with Dr Shepherd. Which means every surgeon in this room now answers to me,"

"No, they'll answer to me, Dr Swender,"

Renee looked at the room full of doctors before looking at Rebecca Swender who didn't look very happy with her, Rebecca and Renee had mutual hate for each other, apparently, Rebecca was supposed to become The Head of Oncology before Richard had offered her post. Rebecca had made sure to disagree with everything including the course of treatment and how specific procedures needed to be done.

"Dr Foster but this is my patient," Rebecca said with gritted teeth.

"Well, I am taking over the case,"

"You can't do that Dr Foster,"

"Oh, I can, I am the Chief of Oncology," Renee said as she turned around to look at everyone in the room, she noticed Derek averting his eyes.

"Now that we've made than clear, every surgeon in this room answers to me including you Dr Shepherd. I want every little detail on how you are planning on performing the surgery," 

"You may leave, I want to talk to Dr Stevens," 

Renee took a seat beside Izzie who was knitting, she watched and waited as everyone left before turning to Izzie who looked very scared and on the verge of crying.

"Izzie.....you've.."

"Very bad survival rate, I know,"

"I was going to say that you've to be very strong throughout the entire duration of the procedure, there will be many ups and downs but you've to stay strong,"

"I have a five per cent survival rate-"

"Which is something, it's better than nothing,"

"Research had found out that people with positive attitudes and who are surrounded by the people they love have a higher chance of survival and you have both of those things,"

"You yelled at me last night, you threw a bottle of whiskey behind my head and you should be ashamed of yourself for treating one of your best friends like that," 

Derek was sitting outside the ER, alone sitting on the bench, he had his head hung and he didn't look up when he heard Renee shouting, the passerby's watched and shook their heads as they whispered about the yelling doctor.

"And yet you are sitting here, silent, not even bothering to apologize,"

"I am-"

"No, do not say sorry. I don't want to hear sorry from you,"

"But listen to me-"

"No, you told me that I was pathetic for wanting to give Mark another chance, for fighting for a person I love then what would you call yourself for getting together with Addison, tell me, Derek," 

"I am sorry-"

"Once again not interested in your apology. Just do me a favour and make sure Izzie's surgery goes well or I'll make sure to file a case of medical negligence against you,"