Chapter Two

Cassiopeia marched to her first class of the day, completely oblivious to how quickly the other students moved out of her way, all fearful of what would become of them if they were to get in the way of a Black sister. The girl was full of excitement about her Transfiguration lesson as she had already dedicated a large portion of her time to the subject. With her three sisters away at Hogwarts and her parents always too busy for her, the lonely girl had had plenty of time to study and even perfect a few spells. 

As soon as she entered the classroom, Cassiopeia's eyes darted around the room as she looked for somewhere to sit. 

She made her way over to a mousy brown-haired Slytherin boy who was sat alone in the middle row of the classroom.  She politely smiled at him as she asked, "Is this seat taken?"

"No, no, it's free."

Cassiopeia politely smiled at him as he watched her sit down and pull out her things needed for the lesson, "Hi, I'm Bertie Nott."

"Cassiopeia Black."

The boy's eyebrows furrowed together as he asked her, "Are you the sister of one of our prefects? The kind one who showed us around?"

"Yes, that was my sister Andromeda. I'm the youngest of four."

"I wish my brother was kind," Bertie randomly said causing Cassiopeia to frown at how open the boy was being with her. 

"Does he go to Hogwarts?"

"He graduated last year. He was in Slytherin too," Bertie sighed before he continued, "He is obsessed with blood purity. I can't see why it matters so much though."

Cassiopeia pursed her lips as she quickly thought about what to say, "My sister Bella was in Slytherin and she graduated last year too. I don't really know why it matters either. But it has to! Why else would our families care so much about it if it didn't matter?"

Before either of the two could say anything else, their professor walked into the classroom and Cassiopeia realised she was the woman who helped with the sorting ceremony, "Welcome, to your first Transfiguration Class. Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned." McGonagall then looked around the room, causing Cassiopeia to straighten her back as she was eager to make a good impression. 

"I'm going to be hopeless," Bertie whispered to her, "I don't know anything about Transfiguration."

Cassiopeia gave him a small smile but remained silent as she continued to listen to Professor McGonagall, "Now, does anyone know what is on the blackboard behind me?"

A red-haired Gryffindor put their hand in the air and answered, "The Transfiguration Alphabet."

"Very good, Miss Evans," McGonagall then turned to point at one of the symbols, "What letter is this?"

"B," A Gryffindor arrogantly shouted as he glanced at the three boys sat around him. Immediately, Cassiopeia narrowed her eyes as she realised her cousin was sat beside the boy. 

"Not quite, Mr Potter."

Cassiopeia raised her hand, and when gestured to speak by McGonagall, she confidently told the class, "It is clearly C."

"Yes, well done, Miss Black."

Potter's head whipped around to glare at her, his hazel eyes bore into her, as she resisted the urge to walk over to him and use a spell to tame his shaggy hair. Cassiopeia couldn't help but wonder why her cousin would willingly befriend such a boy. He reeked of arrogance and Cassiopeia hoped, no prayed, she would have plenty more occasions to show him up publically. As the Gryffindor boy's scowl intensified, she simply smiled in response. 

"We've only been here a day and I already hate the Gryffindors," Bertie spat out, "On my way here, those boys purposely bumped into me and then laughed about it. That one is a Black too, are you related to him?"

Cassiopeia sighed as she watched her cousin joke with his new friends, "Yes, he is my cousin and those boys are most likely his goons."

"I would stay clear of your cousin if I were you."

"Oh don't worry, I intend to."

As the class sat quietly, filling in the alphabet in their books, Bertie poked Cassiopeia's arm, "How have you finished already?"

"I have read a lot," Cassiopeia told him but then his unimpressed expression made her add, "My sisters have taught me a few things. My sister Bella has even taught me a couple of spells."

"Remind me to never get on your bad side," Bertie joked with a large grin etched onto his face.