Chapter Forty-Nine

Andromeda Tonks jumped a mile at the sight of an owl tapping at her kitchen window. The only reason she was awake was because of Nymphadora's crying - her daughter had sadly always tended to wake early. Upon seeing it was addressed to her, the letter was tossed onto the kitchen table and forgotten. 

When Cassiopiea woke up she was met with the sound of birds chirping and a gentle ray of light. The light that poured into the room showed how warm it was and how it was nothing like the house she and Andromeda had grown up in. She knew immediately why - Andromeda wanted to forget everything about the unhappy house. There was very little darkness in the Tonks house and for once Cassiopeia could truly feel at peace.

Cassiopeia had to stop herself from skipping down the stairs - not wanting her sister to think her strange. As she entered the living room, she found Andromeda sat on the floor playing with her daughter. "Good morning," Cassiopeia sang out as she pulled a face at her niece - receiving a giggle in return, "Has Ted gone to work already?"

"Yes," Andromeda smiled over at her sister, "You just missed him."

Cassiopeia nodded her head before her stomach rumbled, "I need food." As soon as she walked into the kitchen she spotted the letter on the table, "What is this?"

Andromeda followed her in, cradling Nymphadora, "Oh, it arrived very early this morning. I didn't recognise the owl. It gave me quite a shock!"

With a frown, Cassiopeia tore open the letter and was very surprised with what it said. She wasn't sure whether she was going to scream, cry, laugh, or do all three as its contents.

"What does it say?" Andromeda asked with worry as she tried to work out the emotion on Cassiopeia's face.

"I am going to be the head girl of Hogwarts come September," Cassiopeia told her sister in disbelief, "I never thought I would be head girl. I wasn't even a prefect. It can't be true!"

Andromeda grinned, "Congratulations, this is brilliant news! You will make a wonderful head girl. I wonder who the head boy is."

"I don't know. It could be anyone knowing Dumbledore. Especially as he picked me."

"Are you happy?" Andromeda asked as she noticed her sister's straight face.

Cassiopeia nodded slightly as she pulled a chair out, "I am but how is everyone going to react? I was hoping to be able to hide away next year but with this, I'm not going to be able to! What will Lestrange do? I was supposed to marry him when we finished Hogwarts, so he will already be out to get me."

Andromeda squeezed her hand, "Remember that as the head girl you will have your own room next to the head boy's room and it is far, far away from the Slytherins."

Cassiopeia nodded, "Let's hope the head boy isn't a prat."

"If anyone gives you any crap, Cassie, remind them who you are. As the head girl, you have more power than ever before."