Chapter Ten

"Oh come off it!" Modesty claimed as she shoved Bertie, "I am far better at Potions than you!"

Bertie laughed loudly, "Mod, it's time to accept the truth, you aren't naturally gifted at Potions."

"Cassie, back me up here, I'm better than him."

Cassiopeia raised her hands up in surrender, "I don't want to be involved in this squabble of yours!"

"CASSIE!" Both her friends whined.

"Mod, you are not the greatest at Potions but Bertie it's the only subject you are better at."

Bertie held his hand over his heart, "You wound me, dear Cassiopeia!"

She laughed as she walked ahead of her two friends, "You're still clever though, it's just Mod actually cares about her lessons."

"Hey I do care, I'm just not obsessed!"

"I'm not bloody obsessed."

As they walked into the common room, she caught sight of her cousin sat alone in the corner of the room sulking. "I'll see you two later on." 

Before the two could reply, she walked off in the direction of Regulus Black, "Stalking me, are you Cassie?" Regulus teased as she sat down opposite him.

"Don't make me regret coming over here to ask you how you are," Cassiopeia told him, "Here I was being a loving cousin and you throw it in my face. When did you become so ungrateful?"

Regulus laughed, "I don't think you can call anyone in our family loving. Certainly nosy and intrusive but never loving."

Cassiopeia stared at the young boy, "How are you, Reg?"

"I'm good thank you, Cassiopeia. I've made a few friends in my year, and some boys in your year have started to talk to me!"

"Let me guess, Rosier is one of them?"

"How do you know?"

"He has been dying to have one of us Blacks as his friend. He was too creepy with me, so has befriended you instead."

Regulus looked up, "He does talk about you quite a lot! To be fair the Black sisters are always a hot topic around here."

"Correction, the Black family is," Cassiopeia joked, "The downside of having such a famous family."

"Some would say infamous!"

"So, how are your lessons going?" 

Regulus shrugged, "As well as they can, I suppose. I haven't got into any trouble before you start frowning at me. You are only a year older than me, Cassie, stop being so judgemental!"

"Exactly, I am a year older than you. I am wise in my old age."

Her cousin smiled before looking down, "I saw Sirius this morning. Why does he have to be the centre of attention all the time?"

"You know Sirius, he's always enjoyed the spotlight."

"He's a disgrace to the family. Parading around, showing off how proud he is to be a Gryffindor."

"Did your parents tell you that?"

Regulus shook his head, "No, Rosier and Wilkes did. They talk about Sirius a lot too. He shouldn't be a Black, Cassie, he's bringing shame to our family. They say they should hex him so he remembers who he is."

Cassiopeia frowned as she realised how easily influenced her youngest cousin was, "You need to be careful with who you trust, Reg."

He glanced over at her, amusement clear on his face, "And can I trust you?"

"Of course. I am your favourite cousin."