Chapter Four

With one final check in the mirror, Cassiopeia walked down into the Slytherin common room where she was meeting Bertie. The end of her first year at Hogwarts was approaching and although it would be nice to be back at home, she felt sad about having to leave Hogwarts for a few months. It felt like an eternity before Bertie finally walked into the room, "I really am sorry, I uh I overslept."

Cassiopeia stared at his immaculate appearance in disbelief, "Not trying to impress anyone, are you?"

He nervously checked himself over, "No - do I look stupid?"

"You look fine, Bertie. Come on, Modesty has already gone to breakfast."

As the two made their way out of the common room, they bumped into a tall boy with long white hair - he was in his fifth year and one of their prefects, "Cassiopeia," He politely nodded his head at her.

"Lucius," She repeated the gesture before continuing to wall to the Great Hall. 

"Why isn't Modesty with us?"

Cassiopeia glanced over at her friend, "She's worried about our exams. All she has been doing recently is studying."

"I don't understand why she's so worked up about them."

"Not everyone is blessed with your laissez-faire attitude, Bertie."

"Oh please, I worry about failing all the time. It's a constant struggle, Cassie."

"Yet, you have never done anything to make sure you don't!"

"It's a constant struggle!"

When they entered the hall, they caught sight of their dark-haired friend bent over a book, furiously turning the pages over. She had a plate of toast beside her, all of which remained untouched, "Mod, you need to eat. These exams are not important, we are only first years!"

"I can't let my parents down."

"Imagine what she's going to be like for our OWLs, and then our NEWTS, she's going to be crazy."

Modesty lifted her head so she could easily glare at Bertie, "Gee, thanks Nott, you always know how to reassure me."

"You're welcome." He cheekily responded with a grin. 

"Remind me why we are friends with him?"

Cassiopeia smiled, "Because he makes us feel better about ourselves. If you think you haven't done enough work, look at him, if you think you've failed, talk to him."

"Wow, I see I'm only around because I am a failure."

"Yes, I'm glad you understand the whole dynamic of this group," Cassiopeia said causing the group to laugh. 

"What lesson do we have first?"

"History of Magic," Modesty said causing the three to all groan. 

Bertie finished eating his breakfast, "Come on, let us all go and die of boredom."

"Why do we have to study this?"

"Because the teachers think it's important."

"But it's not. I'm not going to need it unless I don't know, I become a History of Magic teacher."

Cassiopeia laughed, "I can't imagine you as a teacher, Mod. You don't have the patience."

The day seemed to fly by until it was time for her last lesson of the day - Potions - and much to her glee she was sat near James Potter and his fellow prats. 

"So tell me, Black, are you worried about our upcoming exams?" Potter annoyingly called out to her. 

Cassiopeia simply smiled sweetly at him as she sat down, "Feeling confident as always, but why wouldn't I? I am better than you in every subject!"

"You wish, Black."

"Oh, but I don't have to wish, Potter. Don't worry, there's always next year, I'm sure you will be able to improve then. And if not there's always the year after."

"I managed to fly before you did!"

Cassiopeia raised her eyebrow, "And I always finish my potions before you? You only flew a matter of seconds before I did and that doesn't really as being better does it? Whose potions are always top of the class? Who has perfected every charm this year? That would be me. Come on, Potter, stop being so dense all the time."

James Potter went to retort but was stopped by the sound of Slughorn. Instead, James was forced to send her one last glare before focusing on what their professor was saying. Cassiopeia smiled smugly with the knowledge she had won once again. 

"Andromeda!" Cassiopeia gleefully shouted as she walked into the Great Hall for dinner, "What have you been up to lately, it feels like forever since I last saw you."

"I am sorry, Cassie, I've been so busy with my NEWTs. I have been meaning to talk to you though. How are you? How have you found your first year at Hogwarts?"

Cassiopeia sat down opposite her sister and then began to talk in an animated style, bringing a smile to her sister's face, "I love it here! I don't want to ever leave. It is going to be so boring having to go home again. I have a good group of friends here too, Drom. No one seems to have an issue with me - except for this Gryffindor boy. He's friends with Sirius and constantly tries to be better than me. Don't worry though, he never wins! I just wish he would stop being so insufferable. Why are Gryffindors so annoying? Is it because they are blood-traitors?"

"What makes you say that, Cassiopeia?" Her sister suddenly became serious as she stared intently at her. 

"Narcissa said -"

"It doesn't matter what Narcissa said. She thinks far too highly of herself."

"Narcissa only says what our mother and father say."

Andromeda stared sadly at her sister before standing up, "It was lovely to catch up with you, Cassie. I'm really sorry but I ought to be going."

Cassiopeia frowned, upset that their time together was being cut short, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to go see my friend." 

As Andromeda walked out of the hall, Narcissa shouted over to Cassiopeia, "Sit next to me, sister," And then when Cassiopeia was sat beside her she asked, "What's wrong  with Andromeda?"

Cassiopeia sighed, "I'm unsure, Cissy. I think it might be that she is really stressed because of her NEWTs."