Chapter Fifty-Seven

Wearing a tight black dress, Cassiopeia stepped out of her bedroom and was met with James. The boy was sat by the fire, slowly working through some homework. He immediately looked up at her and was surprised to see her outfit, "Where are you going?"

"There's a Slytherin party tonight," She replied.

"Oh. Right. Have fun then."

Cassiopeia frowned as she walked towards the Slytherin common room. She hated how everything had become so awkward with James. She thought back to what Sirius told her - had she not been as obvious with her feelings as she believed? She thought she had more than hinted that she liked him but apparently not. 

She had missed the Slytherin common room more than she had realised. It was like a breath of fresh air as she entered the room. It was cold and everything was a dark green which made it the exact opposite of the Gryffindor common room. But it wasn't over the top, it was subtle and Cassiopeia could easily sit undisturbed here. 

Modesty happily called her over and passed her a drink, "Be careful, it's firewhiskey."

Cassiopeia gulped the drink down, "Lethal."

Bertie wandered over to the two girls, "How does it feel to be back here, Cassie?"

"Good," She replied, "Nothing can beat our common room."

Modesty snorted, "I would gladly give this up to share one with just Potter."

Cassiopeia rolled her eyes, "You are obsessed with boys, Mod. Has anyone caught your eye? Realistically?"

"There's this Ravenclaw boy but I don't know," Modesty replied, "Bertie has a date next weekend."

Bertie smirked smugly as he sipped his drink, "Meredith Johnson. Gorgeous girl."

"A Gryffindor?" Cassiopeia asked him, shock evident.

"What is it with our friendship group and Gryffindors?" Modesty slyly told her friends, "It's as though the whole they are our sworn enemy is just an act."

Cassiopeia was alone as she fetched herself another drink, as she concentrated on pouring the drink, she felt a presence beside her. Rabastan Lestrange had stalked over to her and was glaring at her. She sighed as she sipped her drink, "Leave me alone, Lestrange."

"You don't belong here anymore, Cassiopeia."

She laughed in his face, "I am still the Queen of Slytherin. You can't change that."

"You have written your own death sentence," He grabbed her arm, "Don't think there will be no consequences for your actions."

Cassiopeia ripped her arm from his grasp, "I am stronger than you think. Bring it, Lestrange."

Sad eyes met hers as she bumped into Regulus. It was the first time she had properly seen him since before the summer. "I'm sorry," She whispered gently to him.

He nodded, "So am I."

"What did Lestrange want?" Modesty asked curiously as she watched Cassiopeia gulp her drink down.

"Just wanted to threaten me, so nothing usual. He talks too much. It is time he showed me his threats aren't empty."

By the time Cassiopeia returned to her room, her head was fuzzy due to the large amount of firewhiskey she had consumed. The common room door swung open startling James. He had been sat waiting for her to return. 

Her words slurred as she stumbled into one of the chairs. James was suddenly beside her and helped guide her to her bedroom. 

"Stop avoiding me, James."

"I'm not avoiding you right now," James replied as he gently lay her down on her bed.

Cassiopeia glared at the boy, "You know if you hadn't run away from me I would have kissed you back."

James went to reply but saw that she was fast asleep. Instead, he pulled her duvet up and carefully kissed her forehead.