Chapter Thirty-Five

The Malfoy Manor was crowded by the time the Black family arrived. It appeared that every single follower of the Dark Lord was there. Cassiopeia was full of dread as she looked at all of the familiar faces. She knew this could only mean one thing - that something big was going to happen. And by something big, she meant something truly terrible. 

Bellatrix had a sadistic grin plastered onto her face as she stood with Roldolphus. A frown formed as Cassiopeia realised Rabastan wasn't with him. The two brothers were usually inseparable. 

Her aunt and uncle moved to stand next to them and the happiness etched onto their faces gave cause for more worry. Cassiopeia glanced over at her sister, hoping the girl was noticing something strange was happening, but Narcissa was far too busy watching Lucius Malfoy as she fiddled with her engagement ring. This was going to be Narcissa's life - she was going to be living in the same house as the Dark Lord - Cassiopeia hoped she would be happy with her choices. 

The Dark Lord entered the room causing silence to fall over the room as they all bowed down to him. Cassiopeia watched every step he took with apprehension, remembering what had happened only a year before in the very same room. She knew what the monster was capable of. 

"I thank you all for coming," The man charmingly spoke, but Cassiopeia would not fall for it, "Today is a very special day. Today we gain supporters to the cause. Bring them in."

It was at that moment, everything fell into place. She realised why Rabastan was not with her sister and brother-in-law. Cassiopeia hoped that this was not the reason her aunt and uncle were so happy - she prayed Regulus was nowhere near the manor and was instead safely at Grimmauld Place. 

The group were escorted in and she immediately caught sight of his long hair and his eyes staring nervously forward. Cassiopeia felt her body turn numb as she hopelessly watched him stop in front of the Dark Lord. 

She could not save him. 

Cassiopeia held back a scoff as she looked to see who else was there - Mulciber, Rosier, Wilkes, Rabastan and Snape. She did not care about them. She did not mind to watch them throw their lives away. 

But she did care about Regulus. 

He looked almost scared as he pledged his allegiance to the cause. Cassiopeia wanted nothing more than to run over and protect him from the Dark Lord - to take him as far away as possible. 

But she could not. 

Regulus had once been a sweet child. There had even been a time when he had even looked up to Sirius. She could remember perfectly how he would follow his brother around everywhere which led to Sirus growing annoyed and telling Regulus to leave him alone - but even that did not deter the boy. 

It reminded her of what she had once been like with Andromeda - was she going to be Andromeda's Regulus?

As Regulus stepped back, she caught sight of the tattoo on his arm. There was no going back for him now. Cassiopeia wanted to scream the place down. She wanted to kill them all. Every single one of them. 

When her family returned home, after congratulating Regulus for what seemed like the millionth time, Cassiopeia went straight up to her bedroom. Her parents did not stop her, calling up after her to tell her not to worry as her time would not be too long away. It only added to her fear. 

Cassiopeia stared at herself in the mirror and finally saw how gaunt and lonely she looked. She wondered when she had suddenly become so unhappy. It was as though the older she became, the more she morphed into Bellatrix. Cassiopeia suddenly pushed the mirror off her dressing table so it smashed - she was repulsed by her own reflection. 

Things had to change.