Chapter Thirty-Eight

Tensions between Rabastan and Cassiopeia had been increasing rapidly ever since their return to Hogwarts as she avoided the boy as much as she was possibly able to. Consequently, Rabastan spent most of his spare time seeking her out as he wanted to discuss their plans for after Hogwarts. Even the sight of him now disgusted her. Especially, when she saw how he took great care to hide his left forearm. 

The Marauders were sat in the courtyard, for once relaxing and cooking up a new scheme to torment their fellow students, when Cassiopeia ran out with Rabastan hot on her tail constantly calling her name, "Cassiopeia, stop avoiding me - I know you are!"

Disgust swept across her face as he grabbed her arm, "Don't touch me."

"Why? What has changed?"

"It is none of your business."

Rabastan laughed, "Cassiopeia, everything is my business when we are to marry in the future."

It was now her turn to laugh, "You really think I will marry you?"

"It is our families wish for us to marry."

Cassiopeia scoffed as she bitterly responded, "No it is not. It is one of my dear sister's sick and twisted plans."

"You have to listen to what Bellatrix tells you."

"Why? She's a bloody madwoman. She is not sane!"

Rabastan stepped towards her, "You have to be like your sisters. It is your destiny to do so."

"Not all of my sisters have followed the plan set out for us by my parents."

"Yes they have, both Bellatrix and Narcissa are loyal to our cause."

Cassiopeia glared at him as she said, "But I do not have two sisters. I have three."

Sirius perked up as soon as she said it and glanced over at the Marauders with an expression of hope etched on his face. 

"Stop being so ridiculous," Rabastan dismissed her, "You must be loyal to the Dark Lord."

"I will not sign my life over to him. Look at you," Cassiopeia told him, "For someone so proud of who you have become you hide that left arm of yours an awful lot. Why don't you show everyone?"

Rabastan pulled away from the girl, scared of what she would do, "I will put this down to nerves, Cassiopeia. I will not inform your family about today."

Cassiopeia laughed, "Oh stop lying, Lestrange. Me refusing to follow your plan by accepting your hand in marriage will make you look weak in front of your beloved Dark Lord."

The boy did not say anymore, instead, he chose to silently walk away from her. 

Sirius cleared his throat causing Cassiopeia to turn around and stare at the four boys, "You didn't hear any of that."

Her cousin smiled, "I am very happy you have finally joined the good side. You've chosen the light!"

Cassiopeia frowned, "Excuse me?"

"By rejecting Lestrange, you have rejected the path laid out for you by your parents."

Her frustration grew as she no longer wanted to live up to people's expectations of her, "Why does everyone believe they can have an opinion on my actions. Stop trying to explain what I do. I am not on either side and I will certainly not be your friend all of a sudden just because I have rejected Lestrange. There are plenty of other Purebloods that I can marry."

Sirius's hope deflated as he watched his cousin walk away - he had been so certain that Cassiopeia had chosen the light. 

"Well that was positive," Remus told his friends.

"Moony, what the hell were you listening to?"

"She said she was on no side," Remus replied, "I would view that as a positive."