Chapter Sixty-Two

"You have brought shame to the name Black," Rabastan Lestrange spat out as he marched after Cassiopeia, "How dare you date someone like Potter? Have you no pride?"

Cassiopeia stopped in the middle of the courtyard as she turned to glare at the boy she had once called her friend, "James is a better person than you will ever be. You are not capable of being the man he is."

Rabastan laughed, "Since when were you so foolish, Cassiopeia?"

"I stopped being foolish the day I realised there was no hope for you," She shouted back, "You are doomed for a life of misery and it is all of your own doing."

The two had attracted a large audience that was only growing. The Marauders had quickly arrived on the scene and watched the two with fear. 

"I should tell you, your sister asked me to do this," Rabastan informed as he reached for his wand. 

Cassiopeia acted without thinking, "Incarcerous." Rabastan was immediately bound by thick rope, "I suggest you rethink what you are going to do, Lestrange," She warned him, "I managed to defeat my sister before entering my fifth year, do you really think I haven't improved since then?"

Rabastan had managed to free himself of the ropes as he yelled, "Titillando."

"Salvio Hexia." Cassiopeia successfully repelled his hex, "Is that all you've got? Come on Lestrange, stop messing around."

"Shut up!" He screamed, "Duro," Cassiopeia again repelled his curse, "Stop doing that."

"Stop playing," Cassiopeia retorted, "Show everyone why the Dark Lord made you a death eater." There were gasps from the crowd as Cassiopeia carelessly revealed his darkest secrets, "Don't sulk now Lestrange, I thought you were proud of that tattoo." She used a spell to roll his sleeve up, "Look, you can stop living in the shadows now."

Rabastan was furious, "Crucio."

"Protego Maxima,"

Rabastan sneered at the girl, "The Dark Lord is coming for you. I will find joy when he finally kills you and your blood-traitor boyfriend."

Cassiopeia finally unleashed her full potential scaring all those around them, "Depulso," Rabastan flew back, "Levicorpus," He hung upside screaming at her to stop, "Serpensortia," A snake slid towards him and Cassiopeia wanted to laugh at the irony, "Petrificus Totalus," The boy's body went limp as the snake bit him and he fell onto the ground. She then caught sight of Regulus, Snape, Rosier, Mulciber and Wilkes, "Tell your pathetic Dark Lord that I am ready for him. Send my dearest sister Bellatrix my love, say I am looking forward to seeing her soon. Now get him out of my sight."

The boys stared at her in shock as they rushed Rabastan's unconscious body to the Hospital Wing. 

It was then that Cassiopeia finally realised what she had done. She looked down at her wand in horror, terrified of the consequences she would surely face. How could she have allowed herself to do such things? 

Slughorn quickly walked out into the courtyard and smiled slightly at her, "Miss Black, come with me please."

Cassiopeia sighed as she knew what was about to happen, "Of course, professor."

"You are one of the most powerful witches I have taught," Slughorn told her as he guided her down the corridor, "The only wizard I know who was more powerful was a boy called Tom Riddle."

"Am I in trouble, professor?"

Slughorn smiled, "Dumbledore has asked to see you."

He left her by the entrance to Dumbledore's office. Cassiopeia felt her hands go clammy and her throat dry as she entered the room and looked over at the headmaster.

"Please sit, Cassiopeia," Dumbledore stared intently at her.

She did as she was told and before she knew it she rambled on, "Are you going to expel me for what I just did to Lestrange? I was defending myself, headmaster. I know I went too far. But he isn't a good person. He is a death eater. He threatened my life and the life of James Potter. My family aren't good either but I'm trying to be. I really am. I haven't seen them in over a year now. I don't want to be like them."

Dumbledore suddenly cut her off as he shook his head, "I am not going to expel you, Miss Black."

"You're not?"

"Mr Lestrange sought you out intending to cause you harm," Dumbledore told her before offering her a sweet, "He deserved it."

Cassiopeia was deeply shocked as she stared at the man, "You already knew he was a death eater, didn't you?"

"Miss Black, I have been watching you," He stared softly at her, "You are the brightest witch of your age. One of the most powerful I have ever come across. It truly is remarkable how you rejected the darkness inside you. I have a question for you that I'd like you to think carefully about."

Cassiopeia remained silent as she stared at the man.

"Darker times are coming," Dumbledore sighed, "We must all be prepared to fight. Which is why I have created the Order of the Phoenix. Have you heard of it?" He waited to see her shake her head before he continued, "It is a secret organisation that will fight Voldemort and his followers. I have already recruited many witches and wizards."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I am asking you to join the Order of the Phoenix."

Her mouth widened in shock, "Why?"

"Because you are powerful, Miss Black. And you have chosen to follow the light inside you. You are exactly what this organisation needs."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"I'll join."

Dumbledore smiled at the girl, "Excellent. You will not be facing any consequences for this afternoon. Rabastan Lestrange's pride will mean he remains silent on today's events. Please, Miss Black, do not make a habit of duelling at Hogwarts."

Cassiopeia grinned at the headmaster, "Thank you, headmaster. About the Order of the Phoenix - can I tell my friends?"

"Only the Marauders," Dumbledore replied, "They too have been asked to join."