Chapter Thirty-Four

Her eyes darted around the room as she quickly searched for Sirius. But he was nowhere to be seen. She could see Regulus, and then her aunt and uncle, but there was no Sirius. Something she found both strange and frightening. 

It was a Black family event and Cassiopeia wanted nothing more than for Sirius to be there as he would always joke and laugh and make it less stifling. There were family members she hadn't seen in years but she had no inclination to go over to them. Instead, she remained in the corner of the room, hiding in the dark as everyone talked happily to each other. 

Her parents were in the centre of the room with proud smirks permanently etched onto their faces. Narcissa was sat down with Lucius and it was clear to all those that saw them that they were very much in love with each other. Cassiopeia was pleased for Narcissa as she believed her sister deserved to be happy. Bellatrix was there too and for once she was quiet as she felt like the odd one out. Roldolphus Lestrange was apparently too busy to attend but Cassiopeia was almost certain it was because he did not want to see Bellatrix's family. 

Regulus wandered over to her and smiled as he found her sulking, "Since when did Cassiopeia Black hide away in the shadows?"

"I'm not hiding."

"Yes, you are," Regulus stood beside her, leaning against the wall, "Why don't you want to talk to anyone here?"

Cassiopeia shrugged nonchalantly, "They wouldn't recognise me anymore, hell I don't even recognise me."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Do you not think it is?" Cassiopeia retorted, "I look in the mirror, Reg, and the girl I see isn't me."

Regulus eyes flitted over at their parents - all of whom were talking loudly with each other, "I would not tell them that. They are all awfully proud of you."

"I wish they weren't."

"You've always wanted them to be proud of you."

Cassiopeia laughed sadly, "Oh the irony."

Loud laughing caused them both to stare over at the source, their uncle Alphard was animately telling a story about goodness knows what, "You wouldn't think he was a Black, would you?"

"Why? Because he is happy? Or is it because he is kind? Or maybe both?"

Regulus scoffed, "He doesn't act like our parents."

"Maybe that is a good thing."

"Do you always have to disagree with everything I say?"

The two fell into silence before Cassiopeia finally gathered enough courage to ask, "Where is Sirius?"

"You are not the only one in this family with a disowned sibling."

A pit opened up in her stomach, threatening to pull her in. Cassiopeia's mind came alight with questions but she settled on asking, "Is he okay?"

"I don't know," Regulus told her honestly, "He left in the middle of the night."

"Do you miss him?"

"I haven't the faintest idea of who you are talking about."