Chapter Sixty-Nine

The Marauders and Cassiopeia were all sat idly as they relaxed in the Potter's front room. Cassiopeia was leant against James as she read and he dozed off. Remus was sat in the corner of the room sleeping as it had recently been a full moon. Peter and Sirius were sat together scoffing down Cassiopeia's box of chocolates. 

"It was nice of the two of you to ask whether you could eat the entire box," Cassiopeia said as she peered over her book at the two, "Greedy gits."

The two attempted to apologise but their mouths were full of chocolate so it came out extremely muffled. James glanced over at the two and laughed, "We should have hidden it before they got here."

Cassiopeia laughed, "Even then they would have found them. Honestly, you two have a gift for finding food."

"I have many gifts, dear Cassiopeia," Sirius replied.

There was a loud bang as Lily pushed the door open. Her face was red as tears poured down her face. She hiccuped as she tried to speak but instead nothing but sobs came out. The four boys rushed over to her while Cassiopeia stood up and watched the girl. 

"What's happened?" Cassiopeia's clear voice asked as the boys comforted their friend.

Lily stared forward, "She - she's dead."

"Who? Who is dead Lily?" Remus asked her kindly. 

"Marlene," Lily quietly said, "He killed her entire family. They're all gone. She was my best friend."

Shock bounced off the walls as the boys all went silent. It was clear they were all devastated. The only sound in the room was Lily's sobs as the five sat close together. 

Cassiopeia suddenly felt like an outsider. They had grown up with McKinnon. She had been their friend. Someone they loved and cared for greatly. But she was never close to the girl. The two had never gotten along. She was saddened by the death of her and her family as they hadn't deserved to die. But Cassiopeia couldn't feel the pain they did. 

Instead, Cassiopeia left the room, knowing she would be no help and that they simply had to grieve for their friend. They didn't notice her absence. She wasn't needed. 

As she cleaned up the dirty plates and glasses, Cassiopeia thought carefully about everything that had happened. The McKinnon family had gone into hiding with only members of the Order of the Phoenix knowing where they were. Nothing had been going their way for the last few months. The Dark Lord had known every move they were going to make. He was always there. Always one step ahead. 

Cassiopeia set the glass down as she walked upstairs to her room. She began to pace as she realised why everything was going wrong for them. There had to be a spy. She was certain of it. There was no grief plaguing her mind, she was thinking clearly. But she knew she had to have evidence. If she was to tell anyone before her suspicions were confirmed then only mayhem would ensue. 

Quickly, Cassiopeia pulled out a piece of parchment paper and wrote down the question 'Spy?'. She petted her owl and gave it a treat before glumly watching it fly away. Hoping she was wrong but knowing someone she trusted was betraying them all.