Chapter Twenty-Three

Loneliness had blossomed inside Cassiopeia as she thought constantly about what was awaiting her. She was afraid for her friends, she didn't want them to be dragged into the mess that was her family. But she was mainly frightened of herself. What was she going to become?

At breakfast, she sat beside Modesty as she picked at her breakfast. She didn't have much of an appetite anymore. Modesty constantly glanced worryingly at her friend, "What's wrong, Cassie?"

"Nothing's wrong, Mod."

"You can tell me anything, you know that."

Cassiopeia smiled, "I know. You are my best friend."

Modesty smiled back until she caught sight of Rabastan making his way over, "Here he comes."

"Shall we go to Transfiguration?" Rabastan asked her, "I'm sure you can wait for Nott, Bobbin."

"Of course," Modesty politely told him as she grimaced.

Cassiopeia smiled apologetically before walking out of the Great Hall with Rabastan, "You don't have to be so rude, you know."

"I don't like her."

"She's my friend."

"You prefer me though."

Rabastan then continued to talk about nothing as Cassiopeia switched off, wanting nothing more than to disappear and never return. After a while, she grew tired of his voice droning on, "Would you for once shut up." Rabastan stopped, shocked that she had spoken to him in that way, while Cassiopeia continued to walk, wanting to be as far away from him as possible. 

Her lessons went by quickly, Cassiopeia annoying Potter as much as possible but even that couldn't make her feel happier. 

She watched the boys again, watched as they joked around with each other. They really did care for one and other. Cassiopeia saw how behind each joke there was actually love. She had never cared for them, had never thought much other than that they were annoying but now her heart dropped. She didn't have that. Jealousy rose inside her as her eyes narrowed at them. Why did they get it and not her?

As the lesson ended, Cassiopeia was slow to leave the room so she followed the group out. She watched as Potter loudly shouted at Lily Evans, eager to get her attention. 

"Hey, Evans!" James jogged to catch up with her.

"What do you want now?" Lily glared at him which caused Cassiopeia to frown, she had always presumed they were friends.

"What are you doing this weekend?"

Lily raised her eyebrow, "Why?"

"I was wondering whether you wanted to go to Hogsmede together? You know, I could take you to the Three Broomsticks, buy you a few drinks."

"I'm busy this weekend."

Lily went to walk away but James quickly stepped in front of her, "W-wait. Please, Lily?"

"I'm hanging out with Severus this weekend."

"You're hanging out with that slimy git? Why?"

Lily glared up at him, "Because he's my friend and he's far nicer than you. Leave me alone, Potter."

Cassiopeia watched as Potter sarcastically smiled, as though he was trying to stop himself from crying. It surprised her that she felt pity for him. It was clear Lily Evans didn't like him but he was the only one yet to realise this. 

She then frowned to herself as she told herself she was going crazy. She needed to stop watching her cousin and his friends. It was unhealthy.