Chapter Forty-Seven

The four boys sat discussing different pranks they wanted to do while Cassiopeia lay in front of them soaking up the sunshine. She felt at peace as she paid no attention to the Marauders. The second silence resumed, Cassiopeia randomly told them, "I am not going to be going home over the summer."

They all stared at her curiously as Sirius asked, "Where will you be staying?"

"With Andromeda," Cassiopeia laughed, "My sister."

Sirius stared at her as a small smile appeared on her face, "When did you decide this?"

"Over the summer," Cassiopeia replied, "I wrote to Andromeda before Christmas and she replied instantly saying I could."

"Do any of your family know you won't be returning?"

Cassiopeia sighed, "Only Narcissa."

The four boys were all shocked to know that Cassiopeia thought Narcissa would keep her secret, "Why would you tell her?"

"I know none of you have ever liked her but you are forgetting she is my sister. I trust her."

"What made you want to leave?"

Cassiopeia glanced over at her cousin, "I didn't want to be who they wanted me to be. After several Slytherins, I had grown up with became death-eaters over the summer it made me realise this would be my last opportunity to leave safely."

"Who are the death-eaters?" James asked her.

"The usual suspects you know, Lestrange, Rosier, Mulciber, Wilkes, Snape..." Cassiopeia hesitated as she looked over at her cousin, "Regulus."

Sirius looked shocked before he looked down and muttered, "Figures."

James continued to stare at her, "How do you know?"

He had been expecting her to say that the boys had boasted to the Slytherins but he was deeply shocked when she told them, "Because I was there when they pledged themselves to the Dark Lord."

Sirius wanted to laugh at how little he knew about his family, "You've met the Dark Lord?" When she nodded, he continued, "I always presumed it was some gossipy nonsense someone jealous of you spread around."

Cassiopeia smiled sadly to herself, "You know there is usually some truth to gossip."

"That's not true, Cassie," Sirius replied, "Remember the rumour that went around about me hooking up with a Ravenclaw girl and then immediately afterwards meeting up with her best friend?"

Remus glanced over at his friend, his eyebrows furrowed together, "But that did happen. Both girls were devastated and slapped you one after the other."

Cassiopeia laughed loudly as Sirius pushed his friend, "Shut up."

As the group went silent once more, Remus looked over at Cassiopeia, "What did you mean by it being your last opportunity to leave safely?"

She stared at the scar-ridden boy, "My family would never let me leave. Not without a fight. You should have seen how furious they were when Andromeda told them she was in love with a muggle. Narcissa and I were sent to our rooms and then my parents and Bellatrix performed the Crucius curse on her. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget her screams," A distant look swept across her features, "That is why I have to leave now. Them not knowing will be my last act of defiance."

"Are you scared of your family?"

Cassiopeia let out a laugh, "You have heard about who they are, you know the things they have done - I wouldn't be sane if I wasn't."