Chapter Seventy-One

The sky was a dark grey as clouds formed above them. A low rumble echoed around the cemetery as a thunder and lightning storm threatened to begin. The group were silent as they stared over at the coffins of the McKinnon family. 

Cassiopeia glanced up, hoping the rain would withhold for the remainder of the funeral as the event was already sombre enough. As soon as she looked down her eyes were attached to Peter Pettigrew. 

The rat cried quietly as he stared at the coffins. His back slightly hunched as he tried to stop the sobs in his throat. Cassiopeia hoped he felt guilty. He deserved to be in pain. It was his fault they were all there. The man hadn't even noticed her stare. He sickened her - his weakness made her want to scream. Although he had always been the boy in the shadows, he never had the attention his three best friends commanded, he was loved. The Marauders cared deeply for the boy and would be devastated by his betrayal. 

She had thought a million times over about whether there was a way she could punish him and make him loyal to them without the Marauders finding out. But that was impossible. 

They had to know. 

James's grip on her hand tightened causing her free hand to squeeze his bicep reassuringly. He looked down at her before kissing her forehead gently. As the graves were lowered down to the ground cries were heard all around her.

The loudest belonging to Pettigrew. As he let out a loud sob, Lily moved forward so she was beside him. When Lily wrapped her arm around him, Cassiopeia wanted nothing more than to scream, to tell Lily to run away from the rat. But she couldn't.

Not yet.