Chapter Fifty-Five

Cassiopeia fiddled with her green dress as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was beginning to regret ever agreeing to go to the Gryffindor party. When she had said yes she was angry with Lestrange and wanted to prove she would not be scared by the death eaters. Yet now, she realised she was going to be in a common room full of students that had once been her enemies. She was happy with the Marauders as they never judged her. But the rest of Gryffindor? They thought she was another no good Slytherin and Black sister.

A gentle knock on her bedroom door caused Cassiopeia's hands to sweat more even though she felt cold, "Cass, are you ready?"

Cassiopeia stared at her nervous face and told herself to pull it together, "Yes, coming now."

When her bedroom door swung open, James's jaw dropped, "You uh, you look beautiful!"

Her cheeks began to go red, "Thank you. You look beautiful too." As soon as she had said it she turned away so he couldn't see her face and how she frowned at how awkward she was being. 

"Bold choice of colour," James remarked as they made their way to the Gryffindor common room. 

"Huh?" She looked down at her outfit, "Oh, I didn't even think about it. No doubt everyone will view it as me saying who I am."

"Everyone will be too drunk to even care," As he glanced over at her, he noticed how nervous she was, "If it gets too much tell me and we'll leave."

Even before the portrait had swung open, loud music could be heard. The common room was bursting with students from three of the houses. People danced in the corner while most were not yet drunk enough so were sat talking and drinking. Cassiopeia quickly noticed how she was the only Slytherin there. 

She immediately lost James as a group whisked him away to get him a drink. Cassiopeia saw immediately how it was mainly girls that hung around him. She felt even sicker than she had been earlier as she stood hopelessly by the door looking for someone she knew. Sirius was already surrounded by his fan club and Remus was nowhere to be seen. 

When she caught sight of Peter sat in the corner of the room by himself, she made her way over, "Mind if I join you?"

He seemed surprised that she was talking to him, "Sure, yeah, um, of course."

Cassiopeia laughed, "Thank you. Why aren't you with everyone else?"

"I'm just Sirius and James's friend," Peter replied as he glanced over at the two boys, "No one notices me when they are around."

"Their loss," Cassiopeia told him, "It must be hard for you."

Peter shrugged, "They are my best friends. I'm used to it. They don't mean to make me feel like this. It's not their fault."

"Who is that girl looking at you?"

Peter suddenly went bright red, "Oh, um, she's someone. No one important."

"You should go and talk to her. She clearly wants you to talk to her."

"What about you?" Peter asked her, "I can't leave you here by yourself."

"Don't worry about me," Cassiopeia smiled, "I'm used to being the outcast here."

Cassiopeia leaned back into the chair as she watched Peter awkwardly walk over to the girl who in response warmly smiled at him. "He likes you, you know." 

Remus had finally come down and upon seeing her alone made his way over to her, "I feel bad for him. Both James and Sirius get so much attention, even you do - you just don't revel in it as they do."

The two looked over at Sirius who was shamelessly flirting with a girl while James was telling the group around him a funny story. 

"They do love attention," Remus commented, "I don't know why."

"Neither do I," She replied, "I have had enough attention to last me a lifetime."

Remus bumped his shoulder into hers, "I think you are always going to have quite a bit of attention. One of the many downsides to your family."

"I don't think I can name any upsides to my family," Cassiopeia told him causing the two to laugh. 

Cassiopeia then went to get herself a drink and saw Marlene McKinnon had already taken her place beside Remus. She sighed heavily as she had hoped Remus would be her friend for the night. She quickly downed her drink, hoping it would make her feel better about being there. 

She somehow ended up sitting beside Fabian Prewett who was trying to flirt with her, "I've always said that for a Slytherin you were hot."

"Lovely," Cassiopeia grimaced as she took another gulp from her drink. She had already lost count of the number of drinks she had had yet she was still not drunk. Cassiopeia had concluded it was because of where she was. 

"Always a little scary," Fabian had noticed her bluntness, "But definitely the hottest out of your sisters."

She raised her eyebrows up at him, "Well, thanks, I guess."

Suddenly, Sirius was beside them, his arm draped around her shoulder, "If you are trying to make James jealous then you are succeeding."

She frowned at her cousin, "What in merlin's beard are you talking about?"

"James has been glaring at the two of you for the past twenty minutes," Sirius nodded over to where James was sat and he was right, James was glaring deeply at Fabian. 

"I wasn't trying to do anything. I don't know anyone here that likes me except for you four, Fabian has been the only person brave enough to bloody talk to me."

Sirius laughed, "Problem with being a Black, we're too intimidating," He stood up and held his hand out to her, "Dance with me Cassie."

"What about your fan club?"

"My cousin is more important than my fan club?"

"I'm only getting one dance, aren't I?"

Sirius laughed as the two walked over to the makeshift dancefloor, "It'd be unfair on the lovely girls over there if you had anymore."

Cassiopeia shook her head in disbelief, "You are unbelievable, cousin."

As the song came to an end, James was suddenly beside them, staring intently at Cassiopeia, "My turn."

Sirius wiggled his eyebrows at his cousin before leaving the two alone. "Finally giving me some attention?"

"You've had my attention all night," James whispered to her. 

Cassiopeia looked up at him and saw how dilated his pupils were, "How much have you had to drink?"

"Fabian's a git," He ignored her question, "You are too good for him."

She laughed as she wrapped her arm around his waist to stop him from falling over, "Come on, let's go back to our rooms. You have had way too much to drink."

"No, I haven't, I am perfectly sober."

She watched as he wobbled without her support, "No you really aren't."

The two stumbled back to their rooms, James talking nonsense as Cassiopeia focused on not tripping over as they would both certainly tumble down if she did. 

They sat together in their common room as James was weirdly quiet. "Do you like Fabian?"

Cassiopeia turned to him flabbergasted, "Of course I don't. Today was the first time I had spoken to him and even then it was more him talking at me."

James smiled as he stared intently at her again, "Good."

"What are you thinking?" She whispered gently. 

"I'm thinking I should kiss you," James replied as he inched his head closer to her and then softly kissed her.

He then abruptly stood up and rushed into his room, leaving Cassiopeia alone and confused, wondering whether she had simply just imagined the encounter.